Horticultural Nursery Worker (Full-time)
Job Description for Post of Horticultural Nursery Worker (Full-time)
The job is mainly based on our horticultural nursery helping with the production of hedging plants and trees. This often involves carrying hundreds of heavy plants per day and working outside in all weathers with wet conditions under foot. The job also involves a lot of walking. As we are a small team, the post will also involve some customer service and weekend work in the garden centre.
Main Duties of Job
- To prepare pallets of plants for dispatch – (involves lifting and carrying heavy plants).
- Potting plants (involves heavy lifting and carrying).
- Unloading plants from lorries & pallets by hand (involves heavy lifting and carrying).
- Loading and unloading pallets to and from lorries using a rough-terrain forklift.
- To do daily tasks around the nursery such as potting, caning & moving plants, general maintenance and tidying, watering, weeding, moving plants.
- To maintain fencing around the site and the posts holding up the trees. This involves use of manual post driver (involves heavy lifting).
- Spraying plants with herbicides, fungicides and pesticides as necessary with a knapsack sprayer (involves heavy lifting).
- To do deliveries of plants (involves heavy lifting and carrying, can also involve long-distance driving).
- To prepare paperwork for dispatch.
- To ensure plants are watered including checking the irrigation system daily during the growing season.
- To ensure plants are kept upright, fed and weed and disease-free.
- To give assistance to customers on plant selection and operate the till.
- To answer telephone and e-mail enquiries.
- To cash up the till at the end of the day as required.
- To do any other tasks as required by the manager/owner.
Many of these jobs involve heavy lifting as we grow a large number of hedging plants in 10 to 50+ litre pots.
The job also includes a lot of walking around the nursery and being on your feet most of the day.
Applicants MUST have:
- Good plant knowledge and plant identification skills
- Good practical skills
- Good customer service skills
- Basic computer skills (basic use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Email)
- A reasonable level of literacy (preferably GCSE English Grade C or above)
An advantage but not essential:
- Experience of nursery-stock production
- Forklift Licence
- PA1 & PA6 Spraying Certificate
The Nursery & Garden Centre’s opening hours are as follows:
9.00am – 5.30pm Monday to Saturday
10am – 4pm Sunday and Bank Holidays
You will be expected to arrive 5 minutes before opening time to prepare for customers (e.g. opening the gates, setting up the till) and work until after closing time to allow time for closing the gates and cashing up the till (approx. 10 minutes). If deliveries are due early morning, you will be expected to arrive early to receive and unload the deliveries.
Monday to Friday with a minimum of one weekend in four.
Pay will depend on experience.