Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager
Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager
DBS check required and the contract agreement will be contingent on DBS clearance
Full UK driving licence is essential
A Company car is provided as you will be required to travel across Buckinghamshire
Our Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager will be responsible for…
The purpose of the role of Recycling and Education Manager is to work with both the Council and the Contract Operational Team to increase public awareness of the re-use and recycling services provided at the Buckinghamshire HWRCs. You will work very closely with the Council’s own Waste Team to help promote the authority’s services and messages with regard to all aspects of the waste hierarchy, with particular focus on waste minimisation.
Your Key Responsibilities as the Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager:
• To assist the Council’s Officers and FCC’s own Communications and Marketing Department in communication activities aimed at raising public awareness of FCC’s services
• Support the auditing of recycling off-take providers used for this Contract. This will include both the collection of information and the coordination of sites visits to the facilities as appropriate
• To develop, undertake and report on customer satisfaction surveys at the HWRC’s on a regular basis
• To work with FCC’s appointed re-use provider at the HWRCs in the development of schemes and promotional activity aligned to increasing reuse performance across the network
• Work with the Council’s Officers and other stakeholders within the County to promote re-use and bulky waste services provided by the Council and its partners
• To collate, review tonnage data and produce reports that demonstrate how education activities could influence re-use and recycling performance at the HWRCs
• Work with the Council’s Officers to develop and deliver interactive talks to schools and other interested groups on the waste hierarchy
• To investigate and work with 3rd sector groups to promote recycling and re-use opportunities across the County
• Training will be required & provided for this role and attendants are expected to attend training as deemed necessary for the safe and efficient operation of the site
Our successful Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager will have:
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
• Experienced IT user, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software, as well as social media experience
• Ability to organise own workload and work in a largely self-directed manner
• Able to work as part of a multi-disciplined team, and work collaboratively at all levels in a capacity of adding value to the decision making process
• A good understanding of environmental and waste issues, and a genuine commitment to waste reduction
• An understanding of the need for a sustainable approach to waste management, as well as a desire to encourage others to use resources more sustainably
• A sound knowledge of waste minimisation / composting / recycling methods and systems. Good knowledge of pertinent European / national / and local legislation, strategic aims and targets
• A minimum of 3 years experience working in either an environmental or waste or educational discipline
• Experience and confidence in working with schools or school age children
• A degree or equivalent in environmental sciences, teaching or related subjects
Potential candidates selected for interview will need to provide a Microsoft PPT presentation aimed at a Key Stage 2 audience around the topic of waste hierarchy, lasting for 5 minutes. Interviews will commence in January 2017.
Closing Date: 23rd December 2016
FCC Environment is a leading UK waste and resource management company, which is part of a global group with a strong heritage in providing services for communities and businesses. Our vision is to be the environmental company of choice, delivering change for a sustainable future.
FCC Environment’s core business centers on collection, resource recovery and renewable energy providing services for local authorities and commercial customers. Our business is grouped into five core services:
• Municipal services – household waste collection, street cleansing, parks and gardens maintenance.
• Business waste solutions –waste collection and recycling services for small and large companies.
• Recycling – material recycling facilities, household waste recycling centers.
• Green energy –recovery of energy from waste.
• Waste Processing –industrial waste treatment, hazardous wastes and landfill disposal.
We operate over 200 facilities in England, Scotland and Wales and employ around 2,500 employees. We recycle 1.2 million tonnes of waste each year.
If you wish to be considered for our Waste Awareness & Recycling Education Manager role, please click apply and submit your CV. You will receive an email shortly which you will need to read through.