Our client currently has a vacancy for a Transport Operator to be based within their Harwich, West Dock Road location.
The main purpose of the role is to meet Customer’s requirements for the safe and efficient transport of their cargo effectively and in accordance with company operational procedures and statutory requirements including Health & Safety to the satisfaction of clients and the profit of the company.
The successful applicant will carry out the following key tasks:
• Communicate effectively in a professional manner with customers to ensure their requirements are fulfilled in line with their booking instructions.
• Collate all bookings and plan trailers to ensure cost effectiveness, to provide the service level as shown within the service schedule and to meet the Customer’s requirements.
• Plan vehicles to be used, assessing any sub-contractors ensuring that they are approved and fulfill any legal requirements.
• Liaise with other company Agents offices in the UK and abroad, reporting any discrepancies or specific requirements.
• Communicate with drivers to ensure issues are resolved promptly.
• Ensure legislative compliance in all areas.
• Ensure that the company operates within all agreed operational procedures, and within statutory requirements including the provision and maintenance of a safe working environment.
• Arrange with approved hauliers for transport of cargo, confirm availability of equipment and agree prices where no tariff exists, to maximise cost effectiveness.
• Prepare correct documentation to the Warehouse / Haulage / Distribution / Shipping department for loading /off loading cargo to vehicles, in a timely manner, ensuring all hazardous requirements are met.
• Perform and correctly implement General Administration, e.g. check costs in accordance with departmental requirements, filing, fulfill month end requirements including cost match and or ametas.
• Communicate efficiently and effectively (via use of VDU's, fax machines, telephone, etc.) with internal and external customers, suppliers, and other offices, as required by operational procedures.
• In conjunction with others, plan collection or deliveries to meet the customers or their Customer’s needs or requirements to the best effective use of all resources, in a timely and efficient manner.
• Maintain awareness of and follow transport (and H.M. Customs) regulations, where relevant, to conform to all statutory requirements.
He / She will have ideally have 2 years recent previous experience of a similar role and be computer literate (Microsoft suite of programs).
They will also be able to work on their own initiative as well as part of a team and be able to meet deadlines.
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Please apply online for this Transport Operator role with your CV and covering letter.
Please check your email for confirmation that your application has been received for this Transport Operator role and to follow further instructions if applicable.