Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on the attachments below. These explain the job role and the type of person we are looking for.
Responsible for the supervision and support, at both staffing and operational level, for specific Catering unit / s, ensuring operations are in line with Aberdeenshire Council’s policies and procedures.
There is a responsibility for the post holder to demonstrate a commitment to quality service delivery through continuous improvement for the benefit of the Service and the organisation.
This post is regulated work with children and/or protected adults under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. The preferred candidate will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check. Where an individual has spent a continuous period of 3 months or more out with the UK in the last 5 years, an Overseas Criminal Record Check will be required. You will be required to provide this check. A confirmed offer of employment and commencement in the post will be subject to the outcome of both these pre-employment checks being deemed satisfactory.
This post has a minimum requirement of one reference which must be your current or most recent employer.
Permanent position, working hours: 37 hours per week, start at 8:00 am.
Informal enquiries to Pat Dawson - 07733001794
- Responsible for delivering the overall operation and management of unit/s
- Prepare and / or ensure preparation of food products to meet the quality standards of Aberdeenshire Council Catering and statutory regulations
- Ensure catering units are compliant with all National Standards on Food Safety, Health & Safety, environmental issues and Aberdeenshire Council’s Food Safety Plan
- Ensure the efficient and effective overall operation of the unit, operating good housekeeping practices, including robust stock control and wastage reduction
- Responsible for the supervision, instruction, provision of guidance and advice, and the allocation and checking of work of Catering unit staff
- Assist in the recruitment, development and training of staff, ensuring effective staff communication and staff wellbeing within the unit
- Where food is transported outwith the unit, liaise with service staff to ensure quality, standards and procedures are maintained
- Ensure attractive marketing and presentation of food products at point of service
- Record maintenance and unit financial reconciliation
- Administration and computerised records keeping
- Academic achievement to Scottish National 4 or 5 level, SVQ Level 1,Standard Grades or equivalent transferable experience and skills
- City and Guilds 706/1 certificate or proven experience of food preparation and cooking gained in a catering environment
- Elementary Hygiene Certificate
- Experience of working in a customer facing role
- Experience of cooking meals and preparing a multi choice menu
- Sound knowledge of Food Hygiene and current Health and Safety regulations
- Knowledge of catering for special dietary requirements, from intolerances and allergies, to preferences, such as vegetarians and children’s eating patterns
- Customer focussed with excellent organisational, interpersonal,
- communication and negotiating skills with the ability to work to tight and often conflicting deadlines
- Adaptable and flexible with the ability to work on own initiative and as part of a wider school team
- City and Guilds 706/2 or equivalent
- Intermediate Hygiene Certificate
- Experience of catering at supervisory level including motivating and coordinating to ensure that service runs smoothly
- Experience of kitchen admin including stocktaking, ordering, recording temperatures and ensuring all hygiene regulations are followed
- Experience in using Microsoft Office packages to a proficient standard
- Awareness of promotional techniques / marketing
Job Profile Unit Cook Supervisor 2009-10-28.pdf
Applying for a job with Aberdeenshire Council.pdf