Senior Software Engineer (Python)
The UK's fastest growing and largest independent energy supplier is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with experience in Python to join the Ask First development
First Utility is committed to helping customers reduce their energy bills through the use of innovative technology, by offering cheaper tariffs and campaigning for industry change. This
opening comes at an exciting stage and offers a fantastic opportunity for you to be part of a
team hungry to make a difference.
We are the 'Growing Business Awards' Growing Business of the Year 2014 and the only
energy company to have been listed in the fast track 100 for four consecutive years. Our CTO Bill Wilkins ranks as number 10 in the top 100 CTOs to work for in the UK.
The Customer Service Platforms (CSP) department is responsible for a wide range of customer facing and back office applications that are essential to the delivery of excellent customer service.
We are an energetic, innovative and multi-skilled agile group split into three development teams: Salesforce (our chosen CRM), 360 (a series of next generation web tools) and Ask First (our innovative and highly successful virtual agent).
We enjoy a close working relationship with our customer service colleagues and take a collaborative and data driven approach to everything we do. Every problem encountered is considered an opportunity for innovation and good ideas are promoted quickly.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Ask First development team you will play a critical role in the development of Natural Language Processing tools including Ask First, our highly valuable virtual agent.
Areas of specific responsibility
- Collaborate with business stakeholders, developers, architects, UX specialists and cross platform testers to deliver innovative software solutions with a key focus on customer experience
- Produce high quality, efficient, and defect free software that successfully meets requirements specified as user stories
- As a member of a scrum development team, have an active role Scrum ceremonies
- Participate in code reviews and take accountability for any actions arising from them
- Provide mentorship to more junior members of the team
- Promote software craftsmanship best practices
The desirable candidate will have
- Working experience of Python 3
- Ability to work within an layered SOA and use, implement and test RESTful and micro services
- Experience of working with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB or Cassandra
- Good understanding of Testing, for example unit testing and TDD
- Version control, ideally GIT
- A solid understanding of Agile / SCRUM methodologies
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group of colleagues
- Experience of working within a fast paced software environment with a clear focus on customer experience
- Experience/knowledge of Machine Learning practices
- Experience of Artificial Intelligence, ideally Natural Language Processing, Voice Recognition or Data Mining
- Experience of Python frameworks such as Django or Flask
- Experience with Linux and command line tools
- Experience of development build tools such as Jenkins and Continuous Integration/Delivery
- Exposure to Docker
- Experience of working with natural language processing (NLP) tools, including NLTK
- Exposure to rules based engine frameworks
- Automated testing frameworks
- Experience of working in the energy industry would be considered an advantage
- Experience of SQL database servers such as PostgreSQL or MySQL
As well as a rewarding career, development opportunities and competitive salary, you'll also enjoy 25 days holiday (plus Bank Holidays), a pension, the option to purchase childcare vouchers, and become eligible for our staff energy tariff along with other great ad-hoc offers.
As part of the CSP department you will also be encouraged to take 12 research days each year (1 per month) to spend looking into something that is not related to your normal day to day project actives. The key here is to innovate! Try something new, explore that wacky idea you've always had, or play with some new hardware or device that has just hit the market.
We believe in putting energy into looking after our teams, so you'll benefit from BUPA Private
Healthcare, cycle to work scheme, a great working environment with relaxation areas to recharge your batteries and free soft drinks available all day. We also have "Fruit Friday" where fresh fruit is available every week for all employees.
Please click APPLY now!
Key Words: Software Engineer, Senior Software Engineer, Python, Development, RESTFUL, SQL, MongoDB.