The jobholder has the delegated authority to manage design/development projects from inception to completion to achieve performance, cost and timescale targets.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- To generate requirements specifications for new systems and sub-systems and updates to existing equipment
- To plan projects, monitor their overall progress, manage risks, resolve issues and initiate corrective action as appropriate to deliver system and subsystem designs in accordance with the defined requirements.
- To manage project budgets, internal and external resources under his/her control to ensure timely project execution.
- To generate design verification specifications/procedures
- To ensure that project deliverables are to the appropriate levels of quality, on time, within budget and in accordance with the project plan.
- To ensure that manufacturing technical data packages (i.e. bills of materials and other related documents/information) are generated in accordance with the defined requirements
- To manage the configuration of key items/documents and their life cycles by means of engineering changes, concessions, etc. in conjunction with corporate configuration management resources
- To set reasonable, challenging and clear expectations for those resources under his/her control and to assume accountability for the same.
- To proactively report both internally and externally, current and anticipated progress against agreed project milestones.
- To define and collect metrics tracking project progress for dissemination to key stakeholders to determine whether the deliverables are acceptable.
- To work closely with other parts of the company to meet agreed project timelines and customer expectations.
- To report on lessons learned at the conclusion of each project.
- To provide input to bid activities including the estimation of costs of future projects.
- To ensure that design/development activities adhere to, and to engage with corporate staff to proactively contribute to the evolution of, the company’s ISO9001 related procedures and policies.
- Undertake any other tasks reasonably required by the company.
Education & Experience:
- Extensive experience working in technical engineering and product development environment, preferably in a defence and security technologies context
- Significant experience working in an engineering or design capacity including leading and overseeing technical projects
- A relevant technical university degree or suitable combination of academic qualifications and relevant experience and skills.
- Proven, demonstrable experience of project management in an electronic engineering environment with a track record of delivering to time and budget in a similar role.
- Strong interpersonal skills combined with experience of leading teams and managing cross functional relationships, ideally including those with customers and suppliers.
- Familiarity with manufacturing of electronic products in small to medium volumes
- Eligible for a UK Security Clearance
- Strong interpersonal and team leadership skills
- Ability to work independently, often under pressure and against deadlines
- Strong decision making, analytical and problem solving skills and sound judgment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential