Systems Engineer - Linux
World renowned prestigious University currently looking to recruit LINUX Systems Engineer for its Engineering Science Division.
Role will be based in Oxford.
The University’s IT Team provides a wide range of computing and network support, delivering and supporting IT equipment, specialist software, services and networking supporting in support of the teaching and research activities of the Department.
As Systems Engineer you will be responsible for providing excellent IT infrastructure services, including data storage, remote access and other focused services in response to academic need. The role has a heavy Linux systems bias (although work with some Windows systems will be required, with training available as needed), and as well as calling upon a sound technical background you regularly need to exercise excellent analysis and problem solving skills.
You will be primarily providing support to staff, researchers and students and there may be an occasional requirement to provide support to one or more of our satellite sites.
Systems Administration (with a focus on Linux systems)
• Act as the primary systems administrator.
• Working closely with local colleagues, and in consultation with Engineering IT Infrastructure staff, design, build, manage and maintain IT services in support of the needs of staff and students.
• As technical lead proactively explore opportunities to develop and improve IT infrastructure
• Design and implement appropriate business continuity and disaster recovery solutions to protect services and data
• Liaise with IT staff and central University on issues relating to data centre management, network management and telecoms
• Contribute to and participate in IT projects which deliver improvements to IT services within the Department
• Liaise with Engineering IT staff at other University sites to help cover for sickness and holiday.
• Demonstrable skills with Linux systems administration, including storage and remote access management
• Excellent troubleshooting skills
• Strong team working skills with good self-motivation and the ability to work autonomously
• Good organisational and time management skills
• Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with all levels of users, suppliers and technical staff in a patient and helpful manner
• Good written communication skills; ability to document user guides, write procedures, reports etc.
• Ideally educated to degree level in a relevant subject (or with equivalent experience)
• Experience with virtualisation (VMWare or Hyper-V)
• Experience with Windows server environments
• Experience in higher education, or in a research environment
• Experience in a previous as a member of a team with a customer service focus
In return for your Linux skills you will receive a base salary from £30,700 to £37,700 pa (dep on exp) + an EXCELLENT range of University employee benefits ranging from: First Class Training & Development, Pension, Health Care, Child care/Child voucher schemes, great Sports facilities.
Interested? If yes please send your CV + cover letter in Word format to Tony Timmins, Executive Search Consultant.