Project Assistant (Capital Development)
Project Assistant (Capital Development)
Permanent - Full Time
We are Chester Zoo, and for over 80 years we’ve been a leading conservation and education charity, and an amazing, award-winning visitor attraction.
We’re also a team of passionate, talented, enthusiastic and expert people, doing everything we can to keep the zoo going, from feeding the animals to discovering new conservation ideas, and giving our 1.7 million visitors an inspirational day out. We work hard because we love animals, we care about nature, we love Chester Zoo and we want to be the best zoo in the world!
If you think you can help us to achieve that, then we’d love to hear from you.
We currently have an exciting vacancy for a Project Assistant to join our Capital Development team who are responsible for the delivery of the zoo’s master plan, including all physical development across the zoo site.
This role involves:
- organising and controlling project activities under the direction of the Project Manager, providing support and administration on projects of varying size and complexity
- working closely with Project Managers and the wider Capital Development team to ensure project documents are updated and reflect accurate status with clear understanding of progress for all projects. This will include initiating project cost approvals, creating and processing purchase orders, tracking and monitoring the financial performance, progress and quality of projects with regular and accurate status reporting, ensuring successful handover of projects into service
- setting up the procurement framework database of contractors and assisting with project tenders, coordinating tender documentation, sending out invitations, responding to queries, coordinating evaluation of returns and providing feedback to tenderers
- overseeing the Capital Development works programme, maintaining a programme risk and issues register and effectively and accurately communicating relevant project and programme information for the Capital Development team, keeping the Project Managers and others informed about project status and issues that may impact successful delivery of the annual programme of works
- participating in project closure and lessons learnt reviews to determine corrective actions that could be taken to improve future programme/project delivery and ensuring that these are communicated and considered at the start of new projects
- continuing with the Capital Development Storage Rationalisation project, analysis and streamlining of stored paper and electronic information using the storage rationalisation process already developed
The successful applicant will have:
- a project management qualification or equivalent experience of working within a project environment including tendering process and liaising with a number of contractors
- understanding of client project and programme management processes
- excellent Microsoft Office skills, particularly Word and Excel
- excellent organisation skills
- attention to detail and accuracy
- able to use own initiative and self-motivated
- high standards of quality of work
Hours of work are 40 hours per week from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday with a 30 minute lunch break. Some weekend and evening working may be required, for which time off in lieu will be given. Salary is £19,730 per annum. In addition we offer a range of amazing benefits including:
- a Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with high contribution levels paid by the employer
- healthcare cash plan including dental, optical and physio
- 25 paid holidays, in addition to bank holidays pro rata to service
- 20 free admittance tickets per year for family/friends
- staff discount from restaurants and retail shops plus a subsidised staff canteen
- free entry to affiliated zoo’s and collections through BIAZA
- access to West Cheshire Credit Union
- child care vouchers
- free car parking
To apply for this position please click the ‘apply’ button on this page where you’ll be redirected to the vacancy on the Chester Zoo website. You’ll then be required to provide your current CV and covering letter stating why you believe you should be considered for our Project Assistant role.
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 21st December 2016.
This Project Assistant vacancy is advertised by JVP Jobs on behalf of the employer Chester Zoo. Please note that JVP is an advertising company NOT a recruitment agency, therefore all applications will be reviewed directly by the employer Chester Zoo, and should they wish to progress your application further, they will be in contact with you.