Job Role – Purchasing Manager
Job Vacancy: Purchasing Manager – Light Commercial Vehicles
Salary: Basic & Commission - £30K PA
Contract type: Permanent
Hours: 45 per week plus 2 Saturdays per month
As an independent commercial vehicle supplier, David Spear Commercial Vehicles guarantees the best quality used, new and nearly new commercial vehicles anywhere in the UK. David Spear Commercial Vehicles prides itself on its bold and innovative ethos, and as a result is always looking for the new ideas that will push boundaries not just in its own industry but across the sectors that it serves.
Servicing clients across the M4 Corridor, Wales, South West England, the Midlands and the rest of the country, David Spear Commercial Vehicles has a national profile and is renowned for its high level of service across a multitude of national markets. In addition to being known for its specialist services - the David Spear team offer various services to support their extensive range of commercial vehicles, including finance, warranty and servicing, from its Heads of The Valleys based headquarters.
David Spear has a reputation for delivering a caring and personalised approach to customer service and its response to each of its clients’ individual needs is what sets the company apart from its competitors.
As Purchasing Manager, you will report directly to the General Manager, spending 95% of your time on site and play a vital role in managing the entire stock of the business. This would include liaising with the business Owner, Chief Executive Officer, General Manager and key suppliers – purchasing and tracking stock via our Dealer Management System until it is delivered, paid for, prepared for sale, advertised, sold and despatched to the customer all within agreed deadlines.
All advertised stock would be loaded onto our main websites and onto other external sites via our automated and manual feeds including:
A key part of this job includes focus and attention to detail, to ensure that the Dealer Management Database works in harmony with these external sites and that all stock is advertised correctly within the adhered timescale. You would liaise with the Advertising & Customer Service Executive to ensure that all stock is advertised correctly and all appropriate portal fields completed in accordance with the criteria that is provided by the supplier.
Other aspects of the job will include greeting and liaising with our customers whenever there is a need and taking telephone enquiries and fielding those enquiries to the appropriate person.
Maintaining the highest standard of customer service is a prerequisite and as a David Spear employee you will devote your time to delivering this requirement. As part of your role you will also attend regular sales meetings with the rest of your team where strategies will be devised to help the business achieve its targets and company goals. Our Purchasing Manager must also maintain good communication with our workshop, external suppliers and valeting teams.
Other duties include:
- Managing the Dealer Management database and ensuring that all appropriate fields are up to date and ready for all Automated Feeds and uploads.
- Managing external Portals to ensure that all stock is loaded correctly and all fields completed in line with the correct standard
- Managing our advert performance on a daily basis by checking the portals to benchmark against competitors and ensure maximum search potential.
- Checking each day every advertised vehicle online and with the Dealer Management System to ensure all vehicles match and meet the advertising criteria
- Liaising with the General Manager to ensure all targeted advertising dates are met and accounted for
- Working with and managing the CRM System to update any new records that may be created via a customer enquiry
- Keeping up to date with new products, features, accessories and associated benefits
- Liaising with the General Manager, Sales Teams, Workshops and Suppliers to ensure that all advertised stock is managed, marketed and communicated clearly.
- Loading all stock that is purchased onto the Dealer Management System and liaise with the advertising and sales teams regarding timings, availability and part exchange disposal.
- Assist the sales teams with all buying and discounting of vehicles in line with company procedure and CAP Guidelines and other external retail sites.
- Sourcing and negotiating prices on new stock and a percentage of used stock in conjunction with the buying strategy of the business
- Price checking Auction vehicles for the business owner 24 hours prior to auction start date and times.
- Arranging payment of all stock purchased - liaising with the finance department and working within the processes
- Logistics - Collection and Deliveries of stock (making sure the prices for transporting are competitive and that stock is collected and delivered on time.
- Quotes to be obtained from suppliers dependent on Geography
- Manage daily delivery schedules – organise timings etc
- Couriers – management within deadlines and costs
- Inspection upon delivery of all new and used vehicles
- Vehicle management as they arrive including – sourcing and collecting keys - All deliveries arrive before 4pm or they carry over until the next morning.
- Liaising with the General Manager and workshops to ensure all vehicles arriving are located and placed within the appropriate areas for service, PDI, valet, paint or disposal
- Liaising with third party traders to ensure that incoming vehicles are underwritten and disposed of within the process.
The ideal candidate for this role must:
- Have at least 5-year Automotive experience, ideally within the procurement departments. This is an ideal but not essential requirement
- Have a passion for vehicles and attention to detail
- Have a keen eye for price and detail and possess excellent negotiation skills
- Be prepared to learn about vehicle purchasing and acquisition and identify new ways of improving our buying.
- Have the communication skills and necessary commitment to liaise with external suppliers and identify new ways of optimising our profit capability.
- Be able to work alone or as part of a team
- Understand targets and be able to manage performance against set targets
- Possess excellent customer service and communication skills
- Have the practical and technical skills to fulfil the tasks detailed in ‘The Role’
- Have good maths skills to calculate costs and handle payments as and when required.
- Hold a full UK Driving Licence
- Be computer literate
- Have a reliable and honest attitude
- Have the ability to understand our buying, sales and disposal process, and be prepared to assist in a customer service capacity as and when required.
How to Apply
To apply for this position please post or email your application to Geraint Yeo, General Manager at David Spear Commercials, via Crown Business Park, Dukestown, Tredegar, Gwent, NP22 4EF or email us via the apply button
Apply for Purchasing Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly