Arriva TrainCare require an experienced Mechanical / Electrical Fitter to join the team based in Crewe, this is a full-time permanent position, working an average of 37 hrs per week on a 4 on, 4 off shift roster, 19.00 – 06.00 hrs.
Arriva is part of the Deutsche Bahn group, one of the largest transport services organisations in Europe, employing over 55,900 people and delivering more than 1.5 billion passenger journeys across 15 European countries every year.
Arriva TrainCare provides Light and Heavy Train Maintenance services to the railway industry from its five strategically located maintenance depots.
Reporting to the Team Leader, the Shift Fitter will efficiently carry out maintenance of rail vehicles to laid down standards and procedures and play an active part in continuously improving product quality.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience, preferably within a similar role within the rail industry and have very good mechanical / electrical knowledge.
The successful Shift Fitter will be comfortable working as part of a small team and who can also work individually and with initiative. Given the size of the team, there is a need for a pragmatic, hands-on approach to workload.
Key Duties as our Shift Fitter:
- Carry out work as allocated by the Team Leader within set timescales and to the recognised standards
- Ensure that safety procedures and documents are adhered to in accordance with VMI & local instructions
- Ensure that work sheets are signed off promptly and correctly on completion of work
- Ensure that the appropriate Quality and Environmental procedures and work instructions are adhered to
- Attend technical, quality, safety and general briefings ensuring that the necessary action is taken on items raised
- Undertake Safety Critical Work Regulations assessments under the guidance of the Team Leader, taking remedial action where necessary
- Carry out any duties within level of competence, as requested by the Team Leader
- Maintain good housekeeping and standard of cleanliness throughout depot at all times
- Use of all PPE in accordance with standards and local instructions
- Assist as directed by Team Leader to ensure rolling stock availability / reliability targets are met
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
The ideal Shift Fitter will have the following knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience, involvement and understanding of rail vehicle maintenance activities
- Understanding of Depot Operations
- Able to interpret engineering drawings
- Understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering
- Understanding of applicable health, safety and environmental standards and requirements
- Understanding of production efficiency techniques
As well as the following key skills and behaviours:
- Good educational standard, BTEC or C&G qualification in Engineering
- Able to problem solve, in a wide variety of project delivery situations, against planned delivery dates that must be met
- Successful and concise communication both to team members and the Team Leader
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines and standard accepted practices
- IT skills
If you think you have what it takes to become our new Shift Fitter then please click ‘Apply’ today and don’t miss out!
We do our very best to respond to all applications that we receive, however, if you have not received a response from Arriva Train Care after 8 weeks, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
Arriva is committed to diversity, if you’re good you’re welcome.
Closing Date: Sunday 4th December
Data Protection Act 1998
The Company needs to collect and use certain types of information about employees, in order to operate its business and to fulfil its legal obligations under the Data Protection Act.
The Company will hold such information on file for as long as it considers necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it has been obtained and to process (including disposing and destroying) it in accordance with the Data Protection Principles and the other requirements of the Act and any other procedures laid down by the Company for this purpose from time to time.
The Company will undertake all reasonable precautions at all times to ensure that the details recorded are correct and will guard information against any unauthorised access and use.