Grounds and Estates Services Assistant /Groundskeeper/Caretaker
Job Title: Grounds and Estates Services Assistant
Location: St Albans and Welwyn Garden City Campus
Salary: £17,170 - £18,047 per annum (depending on experience)
Position: Full Time, Permanent - 37 Hours per week (Applications seeking part time hours considered payable at £10.42 per hour)
The vision of the College's Facilities team is that they will provide a College environment that is attractive, safe, clean, tidy and meets the needs of all of their customers. You will be part of an effective and responsive in-house Grounds and Estates team maintaining the college grounds, gardens and sports pitches. You will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing the grounds at both college campuses' as directed by the Grounds and Estate Supervisor.
You will work closely with other members of the Facilities team and curriculum staff to provide a safe, well maintained environment, taking a customer focused approach.
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing the grounds at both college campus's as directed by the Grounds and Estate Supervisor
- Undertake routine preparation and maintenance landscaping on a range of grounds, gardens and woodlands as detailed on work schedules.
- Ensure that all machinery and equipment is used in a safe and proper manner, is maintained as per manufactures instructions, is kept clean and tidy and is stored in an appropriate place which complies with college insurance requirements.
- To complete and document operator maintenance on all equipment used and to report any further defects to the Grounds and Estate Supervisor for escalation
- Monitor the use of consumable items and spares and make arrangements for their replenishment.
- Assist the wider facilities team regards to the resources required to deliver work projects.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, colleagues and end users.
- Assist with the preparation and maintenance of nominated sports and amenity surfaces for the end user which includes the maintenance programmes to ensure the required standard of surface presentation and line marking.
- Carry out minor construction and landscaping work
- To develop awareness of Health and Safety regulations in area of responsibility.
- Possess a sound understanding of legislation relating to chemicals and dangerous substances i.e. COSHH.
- Experience in all aspects of grounds/ woodlands maintenance.
- Relevant Horticultural / sports turf maintenance Level 2 qualification or equivalent experience
- Experience of working in a manual environment Good standard of general education, including English and Maths
- Full UK driving licence
- Experience of environmental/ conservation schemes
- Flexible work ethos to meet the needs of the department
- Professional outlook and appearance
Skills and Experience:
- Effective verbal communication and written skills
- Botanical plant knowledge
- Ability to drive college vehicle's
- First Aid qualification
- PA2/PA6 Pesticide certificate
- Knowledge of Health & Safety issues i.e. COSHH, Risk Assessment
- Experience of maintaining grounds to a high standard including hard landscaping.
- Experience of working with a variety of work related equipment including tractors
- 30 Days annual leave + bank holidays
To apply for this role please click APPLY and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the Job Pack and Application Form.
Please be aware that our Client DOES NOT accept CVs. You must complete an application form to be considered for this role.
Candidates with experience of; Gardener, Commercial Gardener, Landscaping, Garden design, Garden maintenance, Landscaper, Tree Surgeon, Groundskeeper, Caretaker, Groundsman, Groundsperson, Groundswoman, Grounds Keeper may also be considered for this role.