Support the headteacher/business manager by taking responsibility for management of the school site and associated facilities, . Manage other site staff including allocation and monitoring of work and performance appraisal. Oversee external contractors working on site.
37 ½ hours per week, all year
6.30am-10am 2pm-6pm (some later hours required)
Holiday to be taken out of term time
- Undertake risk assessment of security risks to the school (grounds, premises and contents) including vandalism/arson
- Allocation and monitoring of work to cleaning staff and contractors.
- Operate as part of management team, as required, involved in planning, budget responsibilities and site management.
- 4.Manage maintenance, security and facilities systems on school sites and premises
- Contribute to the planning, development and monitoring of premises services and supervision, training and appraisal of caretaking/cleaning staff and contractors Arrange for regular security checks to be undertaken and advise on how security risks can be minimised Manage fire safety equipment provision and scheduling of fire drills
- Manage provision of alarm systems, CCTV or surveillance equipment where appropriate
- Liaise with police, security and surveillance contractors
- Oversee the activities of external contractors on-site and monitor and report on associated budgets
- Make arrangements for effective response to emergency call out
- Co-ordinate and be part of out of hours call rota.
- Carry out the sites planned and preventative maintenance regime.
- To undertake, as necessary a range of minor maintenance work.
- Arrange service and maintenance tenders
- Manage routine maintenance, repair schedules and specialist repairs
- 4.Supervise maintenance contractors and undertake regular site inspections. Ensure performance of service contractors is monitored and record performance against specified standards
- Identify defects and record repair and maintenance requirements
- Provide emergency access to the school site
- Undertake specialist cleaning tasks
- Take a lead role in planning, development and organisation of systems/procedures/policies for site management.
- Manage records, information and data, producing analysis and reports
- 10.Be responsible for creation and maintenance of purposeful, orderly and productive working environment
- Be responsible for timely and accurate preparation and use of specialist equipment/resources/materials Promote and ensure the health and safety of pupils, staff & visitors at all times Provide highly specialist advice and guidance as required Be responsible for the selection and management of resources, including management of a budget and regular audit of resources
- Management and supervision of lettings including premises, lettings and associated income, building and projects etc. This role oversees the letting and the post holder may be required to undertake opening and closing of facilities. This function being undertaken outside normal contractual hours.
- Manage Health & Safety risk assessments and dissemination and compliance with health and safety policies and procedures. Manage the sites traffic management plan.
- Manage a team of in-house site and cleaning support staff
- Liaise with outside contractors such as cleaning, catering and grounds maintenance
- Take a lead role in recruiting site and cleaning staff & in managing associated employment procedures
- Liaise between manager, headteacher, support staff, and governors
- Attend all appropriate meetings e.g. Site and Buildings or Health & Safety Committee, as instructed by the headteacher
- Undertake induction/appraisal/training/mentoring for other staff
- Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security and confidentiality, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school
- Ensure compliance by self and others with all health and safety policies, procedures and the safe use of equipment and materials
- Establish constructive relationships and communication with contractors and other agencies/professionals and support colleagues.
- Prepare specification for contracts for tender within the school development plan.
- Carry out conditions inspections and audits of ground/site/building.
Other Specific Duties:
It is a requirement, in accord with the guidance of the Catholic Education Council, that staff in Catholic Schools should ‘have regard to the Roman Catholic character of the school and not do anything in any way detrimental or prejudicial to the interests of the same’.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
Employees are expected to be courteous to colleagues and provide a welcoming environment to visitors and telephone callers.
The school will endeavor to make any necessary reasonable adjustments to the job and the working environment to enable access to employment opportunities for disabled job applicants or continued employment for any employee who develops a disabling condition.
Job Scope: Number and type of jobs managed:
School site staff/cleaners/catering staff
Typical tasks supervised/allocated to others:
Knowledge and Experience:
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Facilities management qualification in relevant discipline or appropriate experience at senior level
- Good literacy and numeracy skills to Level 2
- Several years experience working in a relevant discipline i.e. Senior caretaking/site keeping experience in a school or similar environment
- Management/supervisory experience
- Effective use of ICT
- Use of appropriate specialist equipment/resources
- Full working knowledge of relevant polices/codes of practice/legislation
- Knowledge of health and safety procedures and precautions, including COSHH regulations and an awareness of health and hygiene procedures
- Willingness to participate in development and training opportunities
- Knowledge of moving and handling procedures
- Ability to organise, lead and motivate a team
- Ability to self-evaluate learning needs and actively seek learning opportunities
- Ability to relate well to children and adults
Be a member of the senior management team where required
Organise own and others work to meet business needs, need to make frequent decisions and frequent use of initiative. However, the post holder will be able to consult with the Headteacher.
Contacts and Relationships:
Staff management and interaction with pupils.
Job Specific Competencies:
In accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998, jobholders should take reasonable care to ensure that personal data is not disclosed outside Council procedures, or use personal data held on others for their own purposes. In accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, ensure requests for non-personal information are dealt with in accordance with the Council’s written procedures.
Line Manager’s Signature