New opportunity not to be missed! Lancaster City Council has a unique opportunity available for a Planning Officer to join the team at Morecambe Town Hall. The role is a full time, permanent position working 37 hours per week, with provision of out of hours support where requested. We are offering the Planning Officer a salary of £26,556 - £31,288 per annum plus benefits.
The Council’s Regeneration and Planning Service is based mostly in Morecambe Town Hall, on the Promenade. Colleagues can enjoy the clean coastal air and lunch time walks offering exceptional views across the sandy beaches of Morecambe Bay to the Lake District’s hills.
The Service has a large and diverse range of responsibilities including local planning, housing strategy, conservation, development management, regeneration, engineering, economic development and tourism. The services many teams are well integrated and create a really positive, welcoming environment with a notably professional and focussed work ethic.
What are the responsibilities of the Planning Officer?
- To formally assess in a timely and comprehensive manner planning applications (and related consent submissions, including pre and post determination requests/applications) for medium and major development proposals. This will include overseeing the consultation process; negotiation of schemes where necessary; and the formal drafting of officer reports and decision notices (including any legal obligations).
- To develop and maintain excellent contacts with applicants and agents, statutory consultees and other stakeholders, with particular regard to overseeing the delivery and implementation of approved planning applications.
- To provide an effective pre-application service for medium and major development proposals, in accordance with the Council’s formal pre-application procedures.
- To attend (and present items to) the Planning and Highways Regulatory Committee and associated site visits when required to do so.
- To participate, when required, in the appeal process (including the preparation of appeal statements and to represent the local planning authority at public inquiries and informal hearings).
- To maintain a current knowledge of planning legislation, procedures, policies and other guidance that may be relevant to Development Management matters.
What skills do I need to have to become a Planning Officer?
- Degree level of education or equivalent
- Appropriate planning degree or equivalent
- Full Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Relevant Development Management experience, including appeals
- Experience in other areas of planning
- Understanding of Development Management process
- Knowledge of planning legislation/policy/guidance and awareness of emerging planning issues
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to work with the general public, agents, applicants, consultees etc.
- Current full UK, driving licence
We offer a fantastic benefits package!
We offer 26 days annual leave rising to 31 days on completion of 5 years service, access to the local government pension scheme, cycle scheme, childcare vouchers and discounted leisure centre membership. The Council currently operates a Flexible Working Hours Scheme.
Closing Date: Monday 9th January 2017
Why not click ‘apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to enhance your career as our Planning Officer.
Lancaster City Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer and has equal opportunities policies with which you are expected to comply at all times. The City Council condemns all forms of harassment and is actively seeking to promote a workplace where employees are treated with dignity, respect and without bias.