Building Control Officer
7 days left
- Full Time
New opportunity not to be missed! Lancaster City Council has a unique opportunity available for a Building Control Officer to join the team at Morecambe Town Hall. The role is a full time, permanent position working 37 hours per week including some occasional work outside of normal working hours. We are offering the Building Control Officer a salary of £26,556 - £31,288 per annum plus benefits.
The Council’s Regeneration and Planning Service is based mostly in Morecambe Town Hall, on the Promenade. Colleagues can enjoy the clean coastal air and lunch time walks offering exceptional views across the sandy beaches of Morecambe Bay to the Lake District’s hills.
The Service has a large and diverse range of responsibilities including local planning, housing strategy, conservation, development management, regeneration, engineering, economic development and tourism. The services many teams are well integrated and create a really positive, welcoming environment with a notably professional and focussed work ethic.
What are the responsibilities of the Building Control Officer?
- To assess and negotiate, where necessary, all forms of Building Control work, including Full Plans and Building Notice applications that are submitted to the Authority to ensure that works are compliant with the Building Regulations and other associated legislation.
- To serve notices to approve or reject proposed building work in accordance with the prescribed timescales.
- To undertake the statutory inspection of building work and maintain appropriate records of all inspections.
- To assist with the processing of Initial Notices from any Approved Inspectors.
- To assist in the delivery of a commercially-based, cost-effective and customer-focused service.
- To use your professional judgement to undertake enforcement investigations relating to development carried out in contravention of the Building Regulations and to pursue action (where necessary) in accordance with the provisions of The Building Act 1984 and the Building Regulations (as amended).
- To respond to reports of dangerous structures (including where necessary, out-of-hours) to help maintain public safety.
- To liaise with other Local Authority Officers, fire safety and structural specialists to ensure the requirements of the Building Regulations are met.
- To assist with the raising of invoices in relation to inspection fee and other associated charges.
What skills do I need to have to become a Building Control Officer?
- Membership, or be in the final stages of gaining membership, of the R.I.C.S. (Building Control) or the Association of Building Engineers
- Evidence of continuing professional development relative to the Building Control discipline
- Sound knowledge of the Building Regulations, the Building Act, Approved Documents, British Standards and other Guidance Documents
- Good communication skills, including the ability to communicate with all sectors of the development industry and the wider public
- An understanding and enthusiasm for the commercial challenges and opportunities associated with delivering Building Control Services within a highly competitive market
- Proven ability to identify practical solutions to issues arising from plan vetting and site inspections
- 2 years’ experience, which may include your training period, within a Local Authority Building Control practice.
- A full, current UK driving licence
We offer a fantastic benefits package!
We offer 26 days annual leave rising to 31 days on completion of 5 years service, access to the local government pension scheme, cycle scheme, childcare vouchers and discounted leisure centre membership. The Council currently operates a Flexible Working Hours Scheme.
Closing date: Monday, 9th January 2017
Why not click ‘apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to enhance your career as our Building Control Officer.
Lancaster City Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer and has equal opportunities policies with which you are expected to comply at all times. The City Council condemns all forms of harassment and is actively seeking to promote a workplace where employees are treated with dignity, respect and without bias.
Apply for Building Control Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly