Web Developer with Information Security
Our client is a market leader in the processing of online disclosure and barring service checks, completing over 75,000 checks a year. They focus on delivering an exceptional service to any organisation outsourcing safeguarding and recruitment checks. They partner with clients to help them find the right person for the right role. They offer a high-end service built around the needs of customers, who trust the systems and processes in place. Their team aim to achieve these goals through excellence in customer service, performing consistently and championing a friendly, personable and professional attitude.
Consistent growth and the desire to diversify their product range is one of the strategic objectives. A number of new products are currently being introduced which leads to the requirement to increase the resource of the development team.
The Ideal Candidate
They are looking for a talented developer who is ready to make a big contribution to a rapidly growing company. We want you to be innovative, open to fresh ideas and ambitious. You will have access to the full range of technologies they employ, and you will get the opportunity to shape future developments.
This role is primarily a development role, and you will be involved in delivering projects, maintaining and extending the development toolchain and designing new systems. You will work alongside senior and junior developers, external contractors and project managers. You will also work with the rest of the team to ensure their application works faultlessly, day-in day-out. There will be opportunities to learn and to develop your skills with both in-house and external training sessions.
The second part of this role will be to take responsibility for technical aspects of information security, and contribute to the successful operation of the company-wide Information Security Management System. This role includes tasks ranging from systematic risk analysis to backup management and penetration testing. The ISMS will be externally audited to the ISO27001:2015 standard, so the role would be ideal for a developer who already has, or wishes to gain, experience in information security.
The exact remit is negotiable, and would depend on experience.
£34,000 - 38,000 pa, plus project-based bonuses
40 hours per week
Office-based in Syston (North Leicestershire)
Start date – ASAP (Autumn 2016)
- Working closely with senior staff to plan, design, and build new application components
- Contribute to the design of a new platform for future products
- Maintenance of the existing Zend Framework-based web application
- Improving the DevOps toolchain
- Managing the technical aspect of our ISO 27001:2015 ISMS, and contributing to the successful completion of periodic audits and recertification
- Managing PCI technical compliance
- Core technical competences:
- LAMP stack: PHP 5.3+ (3+ years as a minimum)
- Databases: MySQL (and understanding of normalisation)
- OOP, MVC (and understanding of other design patterns)
- Experience with version control software (e.g. Git, Mercurial, Bzr, Subversion)
- Comfortable operating via the command line
- Experience of a testing, release and validation workflow
- Good task and time management ability
- Understanding of basic information security practices
- Preferable technical competences:
- Zend Framework
- Frontend HTML/CSS/JS experience
- Working with Virtual Machines / Vagrant / VirtualBox
- Automated testing (Unit / scripted tests)
- Interest in current and future web technology developments
- ISO27001:2015 and ISMS familiarity (we are willing to train the right candidate)
Professional competences and qualifications
- Motivated self-starter – you work independently to build and solve issues without prompting
- Computing degree, or equivalent background and/or experience
- Secure and responsible approach to work – you keep on top of the latest security issues, and you are aware of legal aspects and industry best-practices
- Forward-thinking: building for tomorrow
- Tenacious problem solving ability
- Cooperation with in-house task management and development practices
- A new computer of your choice with multiple monitors
- A lively office environment
- Monthly developer meetings in London (eg Google Campus, Second Home)
- Budget for external training courses, such as General Assembly
- Good coffee making facilities, including fresh ground coffee
- Minutes from the train station with access to Free Parking
Please email a covering letter and a CV as an attachment (.pdf preferred), plus links to any relevant portfolio work or open-source software contributions, or public repositories (eg GitHub, CodePen)