Salary dependent on experience
Management of the sterile services unit (or multiple sterile services units), supporting the development of the Surgical Division through the implementation of the unit’s and division’s business plans.
The General Manager is responsible for all aspects of running the sterile services unit or multiple sterile services units that may be managed together by a single General Manager. He/she is responsible for the timely delivery of services and products that meet the customer needs whilst ensuring strict adherence to quality, regulatory and safety requirements. The General Manager is responsible for staff and for the site(s) at which they work. He/she must manage the unit in order to maximise the effective use of labour, equipment and other resources, in order to meet budget and meet customer service expectations and contractual requirements.
The General Manager is responsible for:
- human resources and all staff working directly or indirectly below him/her,
- production, and the timely delivery of all products and services,
- quality assurance,
- compliance to internal and external procedures, legislation and regulatory governance,
- risk management, security and health and safety.
- customer service and contracts,
- financial performance, invoicing, purchasing and stock keeping,
- facilities management, engineering and maintenance,
Principle Duties & Responsibilities Operational and Facilities Management
- Manage the effective and efficient use of labour, equipment and other resources
- Ensure the effectively use the IT, finance and other systems and maintain the integrity and availability of management information.
- Produce and report timely and accurate management information and record and report key performance indicators.
- Manage directly or indirectly the day to day running of the unit and all operational and production activities, and resolve any problems that may arise.
- Maintain the welfare and security of staff, vehicles, equipment, plant and company premises.
- Implement and actively maintain compliance to company policies and defined operational standards set out in the company’s quality standards.
- Create and lead a culture of constant improvement and excellence, and deliver this through innovation and development of process improvement, operational practices and quality assurance.
- Organise and ensure the efficient deliverance of customers’ services in accordance with contractual agreements.
- Promote and maintain cohesive communication links with clients, facility personnel and external company personnel.
- Ensure that all equipment and plant is correctly and adequately maintained, serviced and tested in accordance with instructions and guidance from manufacturers, regulations and in line with business needs.
- Provide a safe, secure and efficient working environment and promptly address all facilities management issues.
- Provide support to other surgical units and staff and provide contingency services.
Risk Management, Security and Health and Safety
- Actively manage risk by implementing and helping to shape the Group’s and Surgical Division’s risk management procedures and implement and strategy.
- Maintaining and updating an active risk register and regularly reviewing key business process and risk control points.
- Contributing to the Surgical Division’s risk management working group.
- Identifying new and changed risks and creating a culture of vigilance and risk reduction.
- Ensure that health and safety, security and quality signs and procedures are in place and up to date.
- Carrying out risk audits in line with the Surgical Division audit schedule and implement timely corrective actions.
- Complete risk assessments for fire safety, health and safety, security and other risk areas.
- Assisting with the development and improvement of the Group and Surgical Divison’s risk management strategy.
- Ensuring that contingency plans and other risk mitigation plans are in place and regularly reviewed and tested. This includes plans for business/operational continuity, critical incident, major accidents and crisis management, and ensuring that these plans are in line with customer plans and requirements.
- Ensuring that all statutory and regulatory and company risk management plans and procedures are implemented at all times.
- Ensure that all statutory, regulatory and company health and safety procedures are implemented at all times, including but not limited to the Health and Safety at Work act. Ensure that risk or health and safety incidents or near misses are reported promptly and fully in accordance with statutory requirements (e.g. RIDDOR).
- Ensure that all staff and other personnel are aware of and adhere to the health and safety procedures and their responsibilities and that they have received appropriate training.
- Ensure that appropriate security systems and procedures are implemented and that all insurance warranties and obligations are maintained.
- Maintain adequate first aid and fire safety equipment and ensure that trained and qualified personnel are on-site in line with legislation and good practice.
Quality Assurance and Customer Service
- To act as management representative as defined by ISO9001 (2008) maintaining facility compliance with all statutory and legislative requirements.
- Maintain compliance to ISO9001 (2008), ISO13485 and the Medical Device Directive 93/42 EEC and updated or other appropriate regulatory standards.
- Ensure that required traceability and audit trails are maintained including the ability to recall or withhold delivery of products where necessary to reduce risk.
- Create and maintain a quality driven culture and environment within the unit by working with and supporting the Divisional and Group quality personnel.
- Report severe incidents and risk incidents in line with the quality management procedures and systems.
- Maintain product and service quality standards at an acceptable level at all times with the monthly average number of defects as a percentage of volume below 0.25% (measured separately for trays, supplementary items and extras) for each customer and a monthly average for the unit below 0.2%.
- Implement the Division and Group quality systems and procedures to achieve best practice and to deliver excellent, high quality and service standards.
- Coordinate and conduct internal quality and best practice audits as defined by Divisional and Group quality personnel.
- Work proactively with unit personnel and staff at other units to constantly improve process, quality and risk controls and to eliminate inefficiencies.
- Report and resolve customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Ensure the promotion of awareness of regulatory and customer requirements throughout the unit.
- Refer output/quality conflicts to Group level for resolution by the Group Quality Manager
- Develop constructive and effective relationships with all customers at all levels and ensure the delivery of excellent customer service
- Use relationships with customers and contacts to develop new business opportunities for the Group.
- Maintain effective communication with customers and other stakeholders and formally and informally report on quality, service, finance and volume, risk and contractual issues.
- Ownership of contracts and contractual relationships with customers.
Business Development and Planning
- Negotiation of small and medium size contracts up to the value determined by senior management. Work in conjunction with Commercial and Sales teams to negotiate larger contracts and business development opportunities.
- Participate in the development of the Surgical Division’s business plan and strategy and develop complimentary strategic and business plan for the unit(s) for which the General Manager is responsible.
- Execute the strategy and objectives defined in the Division’s and unit’s business plans.
- In conjunction with the finance team and senior management, formulate short and long term unit budgets in line with the budget and requirements of the Division and Group.
- Work with the sales and marketing and commercial teams to promote the growth of core business.
- Work with suppliers, customers and prospects to develop new business opportunities and to reduce cost and to help grow the business for the unit, Surgical Division and Group.
- Work with and for the Regional Manager and with other senior managers within the surgical division and other departments and managers within the Group. Develop effective working relationships in order to improve communication and work together to grow the business and implement core objectives and business plans.
Financial Control and Authority
- Achieving budget and financial targets set by the operational board. Targets include operating profit, return on capital employed, direct and indirect costs, and cash flow.
- Setting budgets and financial targets in conjunction with Surgical Board and financial personnel.
- Liaison with divisional Finance Controller and Regional Accountant.
- Creating weekly and monthly management reports.
- Control of labour hours and costs within budgeted allowances.
- Monitor and ensure all cash and cheque transactions are banked, secured and controlled in accordance with company policy.
- Requesting of capital expenditure in accordance with company policy.
- Profit and loss responsibility including developing and achieving budget.
- Following company procurement policy and using procurement systems. Approving purchase requests and capital requests up to authorised limits.
- Recruit, retain, motivate, develop and lead staff
- Ensure that the unit is appropriately staffed at all times to meet business and customer needs, including the provision of on-call service.
- Effectively manage staff training and development, provide career development plans, carry out and document appraisals and develop succession planning.
- Ensure that all staff receive appropriate remuneration and reward for their work, in line with legislative and company and divisional policy, including complying with agenda for change.
- Manage absence to ensure that there is appropriate cover at all times, and to minimise disruption and cost.
- Support the Regional Manager and other parts of the surgical division as required.
- Manage the performance of staff in the unit, and carry out disciplinary processes and resolve grievances as required in line with the company policy and legislation.
- Ensure that staff are appropriately qualified for the duties that they perform.
- Maintaining appropriate remuneration of staff and ensuring that pay and other benefits are paid correctly and on time.