FabLab Technical Specialist (Casual Pool)
Job Title: FabLab Technical Specialist (Casual Pool)
Post No: CA002XX
Department: Cardiff School of Art and Design
Location: Llandaff Campus
Salary: £15.19 per hour (plus 14% annual leave payment)
Hours: As and when required
Accountable to: FabLab Manager
Fablab Cardiff is seeking to establish a register of suitably qualified individuals to assist with the day to day running of the lab. FabLab Cardiff’s Technical Specialists (TS) will work closely with the FabLab Manager to engage with FabLab users to explore the potential of digital fabrication and / or manufacturing equipment and processes such as laser cutting, CNC routing, 3D Printing, etc.
Established by the Cardiff School of Art & Design (CSAD), the FabLab Cardiff is part of a global network of workshop spaces initiated and regulated by MIT. Fab Labs offer the public hands on interaction with an array of 3D-printing and digital technologies which equip those with sufficient support to make "almost anything". FabLab users include lone-inventors, micro-SMEs, community groups, hobbyists, school/college groups and students.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The role of FabLab Technical Specialist will include some or all of the following duties, as directed by the Fablab Manager and carried out in liaison with the Associate Dean Enterprise, or other identified member of staff:
- The supervision of activities undertaken by FabLab users.
- Assist the FabLab Manager in the design, development and delivery of workshops for Fab Lab users and Cardiff Open Art School.
- Assist the FabLab Manager with the delivery of funded projects where Fab Lab Cardiff’s involvement is appropriate.
- Assist the FabLab Manager to establish and maintain a suitable client base to help collect and supply information to ensure reports and financial claims are submitted accurately and in a timely manner.
- Coordination of the Fab Lab website, social media and other marketing activities.
- The supervision of specialist areas and processes within the Fab Lab to ensure: safe and competent practices; organised and efficient workshop / studio environments; user access to materials; and the appropriate use of equipment and space.
- Practical and technical support for individuals and groups of Fab Lab users.
- Demonstrate practical techniques and process, from introductory to advanced levels of competence.
- In liaison with the FabLab Manager and Reception and Operations Assistant deal with Fab Lab bookings and organisation.
- Deal with the sale of materials for FabLab users.
- Ensuring that sufficient materials for users are in stock or can be accessed within a reasonable timeframe and ensure that all materials are stored safely and can be stock-checked.
- Ensure that all equipment within area/s of responsibility are in place and functioning effectively and safely. Maintain an asset inventory and prepare and implement a maintenance schedule and advise on the need and options for the update and replace of equipment.
- Ensure full compliance with CSAD’s Health and Safety policies, and ensure that H&S policies are respected and observed by FabLab users.
- Attend meetings as required.
- Any such other reasonable duties and responsibilities as may be required from time to time.
Will include some evening and weekend work. A flexible approach will be needed, and hours of work may vary.
Successful candidates will go on our register and will be contacted in good time should work become available within the School. Being on the register does not guarantee availability of work.
These guidelines are provided to assist you in the performance of your contract. The university is a dynamic organisation; therefore changes may be required from time to time. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post-holder. The Summary of Duties and Responsibilities is not intended to be an exhaustive list of tasks performed. Other associated technical tasks are likely to be performed as directed by the line manager.
It is accepted that individual staff will have a specialist skills and knowledge base in relation to the role they have been appointed to. In addition to this, Cardiff Metropolitan University expects that all staff will conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner at all times and have particular regard for their responsibilities under Cardiff Metropolitan University’s Equalities, Financial, Environmental and Sustainability, Human Resources and Health and Safety policies and procedures.