Essential Skills Teacher
HMP Berwyn will offer exceptional learning & skill provision with a focus on rehabilitation to the men it houses. The curriculum offer will support this process and we are seeking exceptional staff to help us deliver this agenda across a wide range of areas.
As directed by the Hub Manager - Essential Skills, your role will be to provide a range of services in support of the delivery and assessment of Essential Skills Wales or similar programmes as part of the Learning & Skills curriculum offer.
- To deliver lessons designed to underpin the requirements for the delivery of Essential Skills and assess the full range of Essential Skills (literacy, numeracy, digital literacy &
- employability skills - where appropriate).
- To monitor learners' progress towards qualifications, give them constructive feedback and help prepare them for the Essential Skills Wales qualifications (controlled task & test).
- To design suitable learning opportunities for individuals and groups of staff.
- To develop assessment methodology and documentation including learning materials and workbooks.
- To use the required tracking systems to monitor and log candidate progress and attainment.
- To liaise with Awarding Bodies regarding standards, learning materials, candidate registration and certification, etc.
- To carry out preparation work in anticipation of External Verifier visits.
- To take part in Internal Verification activities as required.
- To work within the agreed Quality Management System and adhere to quality procedures and correct documentation.
- To help with marketing and promotion of relevant courses.
- To provide educational guidance, support and counselling for all learners and act as a personal tutor when required
- Participate in the marketing, planning, assessment and evaluation of course provision
- To liaise with tutors from other business areas with regard to resources, curriculum
- development, learner reports and other related matters
- Monitor and evaluate learning sessions and participate in teaching observations
- Complete and produce the agreed deadlines documentation such as, registers, schemes of work, records of work, course review, course analysis documentation, learner reports,absence reports, course files etc
- Implement and adhere to quality systems to ensure retention, and achievement targets are continually improved in line with agreed policies
- To actively contribute to Novus Cambria's commitment to safeguarding and promoting the well-being of learners and staff.
- To actively contribute to the principles of Equality and Diversity within the prison.
- To work flexibly.
- To carry out such training, re-training and updating as may be necessary to fulfil the requirements of the post.
- To ensure duties are carried out with full regard to Health & Safety legislation and to enable Novus Cambria to meet its objectives in providing a safe and healthy environment for all users.
- To undertake other duties that Management may, from time to time, reasonably require commensurate with the grade.
- Demonstrate an empathy with the Welsh culture