Systems Developer / Reporting Manager - SQL / VB. NET
Job title: Reporting and Systems Developer
Salary: £24,064 and £29,573 dependent on experience
Hours: Full time, Permanent
Closing date: Friday 4th November 2016
Interview date: Friday 18th November 2016
The organisation is a college and apprenticeship centre based in Chesterfield. They have campuses across the UK including Chesterfield, Derby, and Manchester.
The Management Information Systems team is crucial to the successful operational management of the College. An opportunity has arisen to work as part of the MIS team providing a full reporting service for staff to facilitate effective planning, decision making and monitoring of performance. Additionally, you will design and develop business systems and processes to support the efficient use of resources.
- Work effectively together with classroom based, work based and cross-college colleagues as one team, respecting and valuing each other to deliver outstanding services to students.
- Develop a good working knowledge of the content, functionality and data structures within the Student Record Management Systems (SRMS), which includes but is not limited to EBS, Maytas, ProMonitor and ProAchieve.
- Work towards developing process efficiencies, workflows, and better data collection techniques within the SRMS through paperless, paper-light, bespoke applications or other appropriate mechanisms.
- Lead on the development and support of bespoke systems and systems integration as directed by the Head of MIS to improve efficiencies and processes across College.
- Support with the delivery of upgrades to the SRMS ensuring effective change controls are implemented, and appropriate communication to system users is supplied.
- Create standard and ad-hoc reports to support the information requirements of college management and staff, ensuring the most appropriate technologies are used at all times, and ensure that the delivery mechanisms for each report are appropriate to the needs of its users
- Review, maintain and develop the existing suite of reports accessed by management and staff to ensure validity and accuracy.
- Maintain a comprehensive log and procedural documentation of all management information reports.
- Work with all levels of college management to establish their reporting requirements and advise on their technical feasibility.
- Support with the development, implementation and maintenance of an appropriate data warehousing solution to enhance the management and reporting of information.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) Specification, and both funding and performance monitoring methodologies.
- Assist the MIS team with data validation and cleansing, when required at busy times.
Key Skills & Experience:
Applicants should possess a Level 3 qualification, ideally in a relevant IT discipline, and have a thorough understanding of relational database management systems (Microsoft SQL) alongside an advanced knowledge of SQL Server Reporting & Integration Services and MS Access and Excel. You should also have experience of developing and maintaining information systems. Experience of developing ETL, Data Warehouse and Business Intelligence solutions would be an advantage.
- Level 3 or above, ideally in a relevant IT discipline, or equivalent experience
- GCSE's/CSE's in English/Maths or equivalent
- Experience of developing advanced reports to a standard template in a version controlled environment, specifically using SQL Server Reporting Services in MS Visual Studio.
- Experience of developing information systems, process design and workflows to deliver efficiencies.
- Experience of using MS Excel to interrogate and manipulate data e.g. pivot tables, Lookups
- Experience of the design, testing, implementation and review of reports
- Working with / developing Data Warehousing & BI solutions
- Experience of working in MIS within the education sector
- Thorough understanding of relational database management systems
- Advanced knowledge of SQL (Microsoft SQL 2012 or above) using MS SQL Server Management Studio
- Advanced knowledge of MS Access and Excel (2010 or above)
- Knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio (2010 or above)
- Knowledge of College specific MIS systems (e.g. EBS, Maytas,, ProMonitor, ProAchieve)
The successful applicant will be expected to work flexibly and under pressure to meet deadlines, and be customer focused with excellent communication and organisational skills.
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the careers page
An offer of employment at the College will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure carried out by the Disclosure and Barring Services.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Systems Developer and Reporting Manager, Software Developer, . NET Engineer, C# Developer, . NET Support, Microsoft Support, Microsoft Engineer, SQL Developer, SQL Support, SQL Engineer, . NET Developer, Senior IT Engineer, Senior IT Support, Management Information Systems, CIS Systems, Microsoft SQL 2005/2008, SSIS, SSRS, SSMS, SSAS, T-SQL, Data Warehousing, Vista, Windows 7, Microsoft Office, Systems Implementation Manager, Systems Reporting Manager, IT Systems Manager, IT Report Manager will also be considered for this role.