Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on the attachments below. These explain the job role and the type of person we are looking for
Applications are invited for this post which is based at Inverurie. Working in a busy team your duties will include enforcement of trading standards legislation, carrying out inspections and investigations and delivering advice to consumers and business on civil and criminal matters.
Applicants should be educated to Higher Grade or equivalent with an English Higher being desirable. Possession of the Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (DCATS) would be an advantage, as would experience in a consumer advice or enforcement role. The successful applicant, if not already in possession of the DCATS, would be required to study for the qualification via a distance learning course. Suitable candidates may be provided the opportunity to further develop their career within specialist areas such as petroleum, weights and measures and safety. The ability to travel throughout Aberdeenshire is essential and as some duties are physically demanding applicants should have a manual handling capability. Applicants should also be able to demonstrate proven experience of dealing with the public.
Good organisational and interpersonal skills are needed alongside the ability to work on your own initiative and cope under pressure.
This post is regulated work with children and/or protected adults under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. The preferred candidate will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check. Where an individual has spent a continuous period of 3 months or more out with the UK in the last 5 years, an Overseas Criminal Record Check will be required. You will be required to provide this check. A confirmed offer of employment and commencement in the post will be subject to the outcome of both these pre-employment checks being deemed satisfactory
The majority of posts within Aberdeenshire Council fall into one of the categories as detailed on the Worksmart website - http://worksmart.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/
This post requires of 2 reference's one of these must be your current or most recent employer
For further information or an informal chat contact Gary Glasgow 01467 628150
- Within a defined area, provide enforcement and advice relating to the Safety, Fair Trading, Consumer Credit, and Intellectual Property functions of the Service, including criminal investigations.
- Assists the Principal TSO, other TSOs and Enforcement Officers by undertaking delegated duties to ensure that the team works in an efficient and flexible way. Works outwith allocated team area and outwith normal hours where required for flexibility or emergency situations.
- Undertakes routine inspections of a variety of premises, to ensure compliance with Fair Trading and Safety legislation. Will assist TSOs with metrology inspection occasionally if required.
- Develops and maintains a general knowledge of Fair Trading and Safety legislation and policies and procedures affecting the Trading Standards function.
- Takes action to ensure that all legal requirements are complied with and, if necessary, and under supervision, initiates actions to enforce compliance including reports to the Procurator Fiscal.
- Conducts covert surveillance and the use of covert human intelligence sources in accordance with Regulation of Investigatory Powers (Scotland) Act requirements.
- Responds to emergency situations, accidents and perceived failures as circumstances dictate.
- Risk assesses premises to determine the required frequency of inspections.
- Receives and records complaints from all sources and, provides advice, guidance and direction on all relevant Trading Standards matters to the members of the public, traders, representative organisations, other Services staff etc.
- Helps resolve complaints by providing independent advice and enforcement to traders and consumers.
- Gives advice and provides assistance to consumer on small claims procedures.
- Carries out in house screen testing of consumer goods.
- Maintains records and files on service activities. Inputs and retrieves computer data.
- Educated to SCE Higher level
- The officer will be required to study for and achieve the Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards at foundation level (FCATS) within two years of appointment, and to proceed to obtain the full Diploma in Consumer Affairs and Trading Standards (DCATS) within 4 years.
- Proven experience of dealing with the public.
- Good Interpersonal Skills and the ability to communicate clearly, verbally and in writing
- Ability to travel within Aberdeenshire
- Computer Literate
- Confident & Professional manner
- Able to cope under pressure
- Good Organisational skills
- Able to work on own initiative
- Manual Handling Capability
- English Higher
- Further Continuous Professional Development
- Experience in trading standards, consumer advice or customers services
- Experience of law enforcement
- Experience of working with / advising businesses
- Knowledge of Consumer Protection Legislation
- Knowledge of Scottish Courts
Applying for a job with Aberdeenshire Council.pdf