Sight Loss Advisor
Do you possess excellent communication and administration skills? If so Sutton Vision are recruiting and we want to hear from you.
Sutton Vision is a registered charity which delivers services for visually impaired residents within the London Borough of Sutton. The organisation aims to help anyone who is partially sighted to flourish and to live a fulfilled, healthy and safe life. Our Charity’s services start from a recognition of the psychological impact and social isolation which may result from sight loss or visual impairment and we encourage those who use our services to exercise self-determination and make informed choices.
Due to continuing business success and growth we now have a fantastic opportunity available for a Sight Loss Advisor to join our team in Sutton on a Fixed Term Contract.
Sight Loss Advisor key responsibilities:
- Providing emotional support, information and guidance to people.
- Ensuring that people newly diagnosed with sight loss are signposted.
- Providing an Eye Clinic Support Service which offers basic information on eye conditions and helps patients to understand the problems they are experiencing because of sight loss.
- Promoting the equal treatment and independence of visually impaired people in the local community.
- Liaising with health and social service staff at the eye clinic and community locations.
- Raising awareness of the benefits of registration as sight impaired or severely sight impaired/blind.
- Acting as a contact person to whom people can return for advice/or help to facilitate the progress of their referral to another service.
- Providing general information on services available from the local authority and other local agencies.
- Acting as an advocate for the patient to help represent their needs.
- Promoting the benefits of the service through presentations and community awareness events
- Regularly attending and contributing to Sutton Vision staff meetings.
- Participating in regular supervision meetings and performance appraisals.
- Identifying safeguarding issues and dealing with these as appropriate.
- Maintaining confidentiality of information regarding Sutton Vision members, families and carers at all times.
- Participating in appropriate training as agreed with/authorised by the Chief Officer
- Adhering to Sutton Vision service standards and observe Sutton Vision policies and procedures.
The ideal Sight Loss Advisor:
- Basic education, numerate and literate with GCSE English and Maths or equivalent
- RNIB & City University Eye Clinic Support Studies qualification or a willingness to attend the course and obtain the qualification
- Experience of person-centred planning and assessment of need
- Experience of producing written and electronic based reports
- Experience of working in the field of visual impairment
- Experience of supporting emotional / distressed people
- 1 year’s experience of working in the disability field
- Experience of networking and developing meaningful partnerships
- Experience of working in the field of visual impairment is desirable
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in a structured way and with a range of individuals, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to listen effectively, have empathy with and support to service users whilst remaining objective
- IT literate and competent in use of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and databases, or equivalent
In return for your hard work as our Sight Loss Advisor, you can expect to receive a salary of £21, 875 per annum plus a range of benefits.
If you are looking for your next challenge as a Sight Loss Advisor then we want to hear from you, please click APPLY!
Closing date: 28/10/2016
Interview dates: 31/10/2016 – 04/11/2016
No terminology in the advert you have seen is intended to discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we will gladly accept applications from all sections of the community.
Apply for Sight Loss Advisor
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly