National Club Secretary
National Club Secretary - Vacancy
Vintage Motor Cycle Club (VMCC) is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates for employment and voluntary roles at the Club are treated fairly, and that selection is based solely on the individual merits of candidates and on selection criteria relevant to the post.
VMCC is one of the leading Motor Cycle Clubs for vintage and classic motorcycles over 25 years old, with 86 local and Non Territorial sections throughout the UK and also a few overseas. Members do not have to own a historic motorcycle in order to become a member of VMCC just an interest in these machines. Sections have a full programme of activities to suit all tastes and members can attend any section. The monthly Club magazine is packed with news, views, articles, adverts and members sales section going to our 15,000 members and also available in E Journal. We operate from Allen House, Burton-on-Trent with a mixture of volunteers and paid employees and pride ourselves on the service to members. However, like any other organisation, we have certain legal, financial and statutory duties that we must comply with.
We are looking for someone with the right background and skills who can step into an immediate vacancy for a National Club Secretary who will form part of an office based team but will be involved with people across all aspects of the club, not least our membership. Knowledge of motorcycling is not important but a clear understanding of governance and the systems and processes required to maintain this critical area of our club on a proper footing is essential.
If you have not previously undertaken a Company/Club Secretary role, your background will be such that it will have given you a thorough grounding in the types of challenges you will face and you will be well equipped to make that transition. Equally important are the personal skills and qualities you will bring to the role - not least first class organisational and communication skills, attention to detail, team working and the ability to liaise with people at all levels.
Job Title: National Club Secretary
Location: Allen House, Wetmore Road, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE14 1TR
Responsible to: Club Directors
Terms: Permanent position.
Full time role, 36 hours per week or Part Time by agreement.
Salary: In the region of £22,000 - £26,000, dependent on experience
To ensure that the Club complies with standard financial and legal practice and maintains high standards of corporate governance.
- Preparing agendas, papers and subsequent minutes for management committee (MC) and club meetings, including the annual general meeting (AGM), ensuring members receive due notice and all necessary documentation.
- Progress action points arising from Directors MC, club meetings and Club Strategy.
- Marketing, Public Relations and club promotion using modern media communication techniques.
- Facilitating the overall requirements of outsourcing IT systems, Club Journal and specific events to various suppliers, with monitoring and reporting.
- Developing and overseeing the systems to ensure the club complies with all legal and statutory requirements and compliance with articles. Ensuring effectiveness and efficiency.
- Maintaining club records including club files for legal documents, leases and policies and procedures.
- Maintaining the register of members, ensuring compliance with data protection legislation.
- Jointly with the Accountant ensure the club accounts are managed with input by Directors and staff teams.
- Undertaking primary responsibility for the club's Health and Safety and HR functions.
- Ensuring that club policies, as determined by the club's articles and club MC, are adhered to at all times.
- Providing additional support to the club's administrative function and attendance at main external events as required.
- Previous experience as Club Secretary or similar role and relevant experience in at least one of the following areas: legal, financial, insurance, office management, marketing, PR, or purchasing. We will be pleased to hear from you.
- Verbal, written communication and good IT skills.
- Team working and interpersonal skills, the ability to work well with people at all levels.
- Attention to detail and a well-organised approach to work.
- Ability to prioritise work and to work well under pressure.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Integrity and discretion when handling confidential information.
- Sound grasp of governance issues;
- Knowledge of, and commitment to, VMCC aims and strategy to be a leading motorcycle enthusiasts club that will progress with the introduction of modern and effective marketing and communications that delivers lasting benefit to its members and the club membership.
Interested candidates should send:
- a copy of their current CV
- a covering letter which specifically outlines how they meet the person specification and their ability to deliver the job description outlined above, citing specific, relevant examples
- contact details of two referees, wherever possible one of these should be your most recent employer. [NB: References will only be taken following selection of the successful candidate]
Applications should be sent:
By post to: Accountant Jane Farnsworth, Allen House, Wetmore Road, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire DE14 1TR (Please mark envelope: In Confidence)
By email to: JaneFarnsworth@vmcc.net
Deadline for applications is Noon, Monday 31st October 2016.
All applications will be acknowledged on receipt. Short listed candidates will be invited for interview during the week beginning 31st October 2016.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.
If you would like to discuss this opportunity further, please contact Peter Miller email email@example.com and a call will be arranged.