Horticulture Lecturer (part time): HMYOI Aylesbury
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated education and horticulture professional to deliver learner success, through effective teaching and delivery on horticulture programmes. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated lecturer, with a can do approach to education and horticulture. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative horticulture/ gardening lecturer, who can thrive working in a challenging yet rewarding environment. You will be able to offer industry knowledge to our learners, to guide and assist them throughout their horticulture/gardening vocational course.
HMYOI Aylesbury is a prison housing young prisoners aged 18-21, all serving long sentences. The Education Department works closely with our prison colleagues to deliver medium to long courses that help prepare learners for employment upon release.
In the department we believe the opportunity to gain skills and knowledge will help our learners to end their offending behaviour. We engage the hardest to reach learners and encourage them to take pride in their own education and self-development. As a department, we endeavour to inspire learners to achieve and for some, attain their first significant qualifications. If you believe that you can inspire and reach challenging young prisoners, then we would like to hear from you!
- Hold a vocational qualification (level 3 or above in Horticulture or similar).
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed).
- Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
- Have teaching/training and vocational experience in Horticulture and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
Location: HMYOI Aylesbury
Hours: 18.5 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: GBP17,662 - GBP31,940 per annum, pro rata
Closing Date: 28th October 2016
When applying for this role, please reference AoC Jobs as your application source when asked.
More about the rewards
As well as having 35 flexible days holiday per year pro rata you will also get 3 additional days to be taken over Christmas and of course all of the bank holidays. We offer a car allowance scheme "Just add fuel", but if you prefer a more environmentally friendly approach to travel we also offer a cycle to work scheme. As part of Milton Keynes College you are entitled to apply for an NUS student discount card with offers in plenty of local restaurants and high street shops. Child care vouchers are available and of course the option of being part of Teachers Pension Scheme. For more about our benefits please visit the MK College website.
More about Milton Keynes College:
Milton Keynes College deliver an exciting and varied curriculum in 28 of Her Majesty's Prisons and Young Offenders Institutes. We also have a successful Employment Academy model which works with employers and stakeholders to enhance our learners' chances of re-entering society successfully, to find employment upon release and to live fulfilling lives. The curriculum we offer is designed taking into account both the needs of the learner, external stakeholders and the local employment needs. We are proud of supporting our learners' successfully through education and 'Through the Gate'.