Project Manager - Observations
GBP26,877 + Excellent Benefits
The award winning Met Office HQ is home to our Exeter based world-class employees, among the very best in their professions. We supply weather and climate services to a variety of sectors, including the Aviation, Retail, Defence, Sport & Leisure and Utilities industries. We own and operate one of the largest Supercomputers in the world, worth in excess of GBP97million. As a recognised pioneer within our sector, we lead the way in developing and providing services that are both cutting edge and highly functional. We even work with the likes of NASA!
27.5 days annual leave + bank holidays (rising to 32.5 days)
One of the most generous occupational pension schemes on the market
Flexible working is available to promote work/life balance
Free car park, excellent access to public transport and a cycle to work scheme
Onsite Gym, open 24/7
Many other benefits including onsite restaurants and a variety of clubs
Observations are fundamental to almost all the services the Met Office provides - as direct data and products; initialising Numerical Weather Prediction and other models; for verification of forecasts; and the basis for many weather/climate related consultancy services; and for providing evidence of climate change. By using state-of-the-art weather instruments we extract as much information from the atmosphere as possible.
As a Project Manager, you'll help keep our all-important Observations infrastructure ahead of the game. Technology could range from radar systems through to surface instruments and upper air sensing probes. From researching and managing the implementation process of new instruments, to co-ordinating the upgrade of existing technology, the role is varied and dynamic. You will help to deliver medium risk projects, using agile (DSDM Atern) or classic waterfall (Tailored PRINCE2) as necessary. You will be overseeing every step of the project life cycle: whether you're agreeing deliverables, managing budgets, monitoring resource requirements or liaising with internal or external stakeholders, you'll remain customer focused in all that you do. We're looking for someone who can deliver projects on time and on budget without compromising on quality
Agree requirements, identify deliverables and plan the activities needed to deliver the required outcomes, using professional project management practices and documentation within the Met Office project management framework for medium risk projects.
Direct and motivate the project teams to ensure successful completion of tasks
Monitor, verify and forecast project progress and finances, initiating and agreeing corrective action when necessary; understanding the impacts of those actions.
Build relationships and communicate with all stakeholders, lead on the establishment of appropriate governance arrangements.
Identify, analyse, evaluate and prioritise risks.
Identify lessons learnt during projects and initiate changes to ensure best practice for future projects
Report progress to the project board, project executives and senior stakeholders.
Essential Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Current Prince2 Practitioner and/or APM (Association for Project Management) Certificate or equivalent project related experience.
2. A track record of delivering on time and to customers' requirements, ideally through the management of a number of medium risk business change projects from start to finish.
3. A proven ability to escalate issues and recommend solutions through formal and informal channels to secure a positive outcome.
4. Proven ability to co-ordinate multiple activities and work streams, handling shifting demands and priorities, to deliver a customer requirement or business benefit.
5. Excellent communication skills, with a proven track record of successful liaison with stakeholders, including third parties such as manufacturers or Public sector organisations.
6. Evidence of having managed or played a lead role in a team delivering successful business change
7. Experience of using financial reporting and planning tools and of accurate financial management of a project or work package.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills & Abilities
1. Knowledge of weather observing systems, including both in situ and remote sensing.
2. Knowledge of procurement process such as OJEU (Official Journal of the European Union).
3. Evidence of mentoring or coaching other team members.
Additional Supplementary Information
Closing date for applications is 30th October 2016
This recruitment post is not offering UK Visa and Sponsorship and does require all applicants to be eligible to work within the UK/EU. If you are a non-EU candidate you will be required to provide and attach all relevant eligibility documentation to your application at the time of applying.