Actica Consulting Ltd is an expanding Management and Technical Consultancy working on some of the most nationally critical technology projects. We specialise in delivering complex projects to challenging timescales. Our customers include the Cabinet Office, the Home Office, the Ministry of Defence, HM Treasury, the Ministry of Justice, Police Forces, Fire Services and the NHS, as well as a range of national and international companies across the private sector.
Our focus on an organisation's people, processes and technologies gives us a real edge. All of our consultants have a detailed and systematic approach to solving even the most difficult of problems and we always keep the client at the heart of every engagement.
You will have the opportunity to undertake a variety of roles throughout the project lifecycle, working across a wide-ranging set of clients and leading edge technologies. This could include providing projects with advice and guidance on Information Assurance topics; contributing to the development of IA strategies, policies, guidance and awareness; planning and managing the delivery of a security work programme; defining security requirements; designing and implementing security architectures; or overseeing the secure development and accreditation of information systems. You will be required to explain information assurance concepts to non-technical stakeholders, and the rationale for the proposed information risk management decisions. The role may involve operating as part of a larger Actica team or working embedded within a customer team.
To complement the information assurance activities, you will be supported by others providing, and may also find yourself providing, high-value strategy, business analysis, technology and procurement consultancy to ensure any solution aligns with the organisation's business objectives. You will also be expected to provide authoritative advice on security aspects of likely future technology developments and routes to exploit these.
You will have opportunities to lead assignments, to manage small teams and to directly deliver consultancy to ensure the overall success of the engagement. The role involves producing high quality, formal deliverables and reviewing formal deliverables developed by others. It requires significant stakeholder engagement, dealing directly with the client, including in resolving day-day issues involved in assignment delivery and developing follow-on opportunities.
• Working either individually or as part of a larger Actica team, you will undertake a number of consultancy
assignments which could include:
• Provide EA leadership to a client to help mature the organisation's architecture governance and
develop best practice;
• Develop and review strategies and target architectures to support future delivery of ICS services to
meet the client's business needs and in accordance with the Government's ICS and other
• Develop and review baseline and transition architectures to support the client's migration planning
of ICS services within their overall business change programme;
• Develop architecture views to describe all aspects of a client's organisation including its Business,
Information, Data and Technology.
Qualifications and Experience
Experience within the UK Public Sector is desirable, preferably within the ICT context on enterprise
solutions. Our position as a client side advisor means that strong influencing and personal skills are
essential. The fast moving nature of the ICT environment together with the need to resource multiple, adhoc
assignments also requires the individual to be intellectually agile, proactive and self-motivated - with
the ability to apply a structured approach to often unfamiliar subject matter.
It is essential that the candidate have experience in the application of at least two of the following methods
and standards in use within our customer base, additional experience in other elements would be highly
• EA frameworks and methods e.g. TOGAF, MODAF, Zachman Framework;
• Business or systems analysis methods and tools, e.g. BPMN, Lean, RUP, UML, TOGAF;
• Software and systems development methods and techniques;
• Project and programme management methods e.g. PRINCE2, MSP;
• Central government information security policy standards / ISO17799;
• Public sector best practice guidance, e.g. ITIL, OGC toolkit;
• Business case development to Treasury guidelines.
It is desirable that candidates have experience in at least two of the following domains:
• Local Government;
• Central Government;
• Intelligence, logistics or Command and Control;
• Enterprise and Technical Architecture development and review;
• ICT Infrastructure - including relating to Desktop Migration, Data Centre Migration, Telephony and
• Service Management.
Preference is given to candidates with a good degree (2.1 or above) from a reputable university and in a
relevant technical subject, such as Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, or Engineering.
Because of the nature of the Actica's business, a wide and varied background is preferable and the demonstrable capability to adapt quickly to new developments is always required.
Candidates must be eligible and willing to gain UK Security Clearance to apply for this position.
• A discretionary bench mark bonus; split into two payments per year;
• 25 days annual Leave;
• Twice* yearly performance appraisal with pay review at each (*while at Consultant and Senior Consultant grades, annually thereafter);
• Investment in training relevant to an individual's development and Actica's business needs.
To apply for this position please click the APPLY button now!