Job title: Clinical Tutor
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Hours: 40 hours
Work Pattern: Monday – Friday
Employer: St George’s International School of Medicine Ltd
Duration: Permanent only
The programme is located at the Northumbria University campus in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The Clinical Tutor will be required to assist in teaching various subjects in the Basic Medical Sciences – Anatomy, Histology and Cell Biology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Physiology, Neuroscience, Immunology, Medical Genetics, Bioethics, Community and Preventative Medicine and Clinical Skills – by running practical and small group discussion sessions and s/he may be asked to hold review sessions; flexibility to fit in with the students’ timetable is essential.
Proctoring of exams and other relevant duties may be required.
The Clinical Tutor will be expected to attend and assist with additional events such as Orientation and Convocation at the beginning of each term.
In addition to teaching, Clinical Tutors are expected to study for examinations necessary to further their medical careers e.g. the GMC PLAB examinations and the USMLE; research activity is also encouraged. Exceptional Clinical Tutors may be selected for a Clinical Faculty track at St George’s University.
The candidate must possess the following qualifications and attributes:
- basic medical degree (MBChB) or equivalent;
- prior work experience in form of at least one year’s internship and one further year of supervised clinical training;
- evidence of proficiency in teaching and scholarly activity in the subject (desired);
- excellent oral and written communication skills and a commitment to the education of future health-care professionals;
- experience delivering teaching and learning (desired);
- the ability to work as part of a team;
- the confidence and interpersonal skills to operate effectively;
- Experience of running practical and small group discussions;
- Excellent presentation skills;
- Evidence of resilience and ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism in the face of distressing or emotional situations.
To apply, forward your CV, covering letter and contact details to: JSmith1@SGU.EDU
Date posted: 14 October 2016 Closing date: 11 November 2016