Lecturer - Humanities and Education
TITLE: Lecturer - Humanities and Education, Part time 0.6 FTE
SALARY: GBP24,326 to GBP36,000
Are you an amazing Humanities or Education Lecturer who is motivated, enthusiastic and committed to the success of your students? Can you bring your subject to life in a way that students have not experienced before? If you have a passion for your profession and share our determination to be outstanding then we want to talk to you.
WHO ARE WE
North Hertfordshire College (NHC) is a further education college with over 2,000 full time students in the full range of sector areas.
Everything we do at NHC is about helping students get where they want to be in life. That means helping them to develop both the knowledge and skills they need to progress in their chosen occupational area, and the employability skills that we know employers expect of young people when they enter the world of work.
NHC is part of the Hart Learning Group which also includes Hart L&D, a progressive learning and development business that helps business clients of all sizes to engage with emerging talent, and the Hart Schools Trust - a burgeoning multi-academy trust which sponsors a small number of schools in our local community.
We are currently working towards an ambitious five-year strategy. We want NHC to be Outstanding by 2018. To realise our strategy, we need the best people around. We're building an amazing team, all of whom share our passion, pace and commitment to helping our students get where they want to be in life.
You will teach a range of humanities subjects such as History and English Literature at level 3. The role also involves the delivery of teaching theory units to adult learners seeking entry to university for teaching training programmes. In this capacity, you will also be required to supervise students in the building of their evidence portfolio during their teaching practice placement.
- Staff Discount on courses to develop skills and further progression
- Pensions Scheme
- Discount at Busy Bee's Nursery
- Discounted Gym Membership
- Childcare Vouchers
- Employee Assistance programme
- Eye care Vouchers
- Opportunity to work for an progressive organisation
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver consistently good or better teaching sessions across core modules including those related to academic and professional development sessions at Level 3, specific to Access to Higher Education Diploma pathways.
- Incorporate an effective range of learning strategies that enable outstanding learning outcomes for all students whilst delivering an appropriate blend of learning opportunities, making effective use of technology both within the classroom and via online and independent learning.
- Maintain high expectations of students, working with them to raise their ambition and aspiration, ensuring they realise their full potential.
- Undertake all aspects of student assessment in conformity with college and awarding body regulations. This will include: the production of formative and summative assessment tasks, marking and producing written feedback, effective participation in internal moderation processes and, in liaison with the awarding body, participation in external quality assurance processes.
- Act as a course team leader for designated courses, maintaining up to date student records and delivering against greed student retention, attendance, success, and satisfaction and outcome measures.
- Provide both academic and pastoral support as Personal Tutor to a specified cohort of Access to HE students. This role will require close recording and monitoring of the students' academic performance, liaison with wider college support mechanisms and effective supervision of the students' university progression.
- Comply with the college's maths and English strategy, maintain your ability to embed both subjects into your teaching practice.
- Work with colleagues responsible for both transformation & student services to deliver an overall student experience, which engages, inspires and prepares students for the world of work.
- Work with the Head of Curriculum and Quality and Innovation Centre colleagues to continually strive for excellence and improve standards in teaching and learning across the academy.
- Engage proactively with internal and external stakeholders to maximise opportunities for employer engagement in the learning process.
- Support college marketing and recruitment activities to attract potential learners and improve conversion rates.
- A strong track record of good or better teaching and learning delivery, specifically to Access to HE students, whilst achieving high levels of student success.
- Experience of curriculum, course design and assessment that meets awarding body requirements.
- Highly developed course team leadership skills, and effective implementation of quality systems and engagement with student voice as a driver for quality improvement.
- Up to date knowledge of safeguarding, equality and diversity, health and safety and child protection legislation as it impact on learning.
- Good analytical skills with proven ability to use management information to identify issues and opportunities to drive quality and performance.
- Well-developed organisational, communication and teamwork skills.
- A degree and/or professional qualification in a relevant subject area.
- Hold or be willing to work towards, a relevant teaching qualification.
- Level 2 Literacy and Numeracy and experience of using IT applications.
If you are looking for a new opportunity within an organsation that is progressive and striving for outstanding please apply today.
When applying for this role, please reference AoC Jobs as your application source when asked.