Outreach Youth Worker
Our client, The Wilderness Foundation is designed to meet the needs of a range of young people who are facing a number of challenges in their lives. The aim is to help vulnerable young people in Berkshire make positive life choices and overcome barriers to social inclusion and financial self-sufficiency. The programme consists of 2 wilderness trails per year, ongoing 1:1 mentoring, skills workshops, nature activity days and work experience with local employers, that ultimately leads young people into college, vocational courses, apprenticeships or other educational and employment opportunities.
Currently our client is looking for an energetic individual to take on the role of an Outreach Youth Worker (OYW). The OYW reports to the Project Manager and the CEO.
- Assess and support future development/requirements of youth in the community.
- Communicate with youth to determine their needs and interests.
- Delivery of the TurnAround programme - including workshops, outdoor nature activities, cultural and other programmes.
- Encourage existing organisations, employers, schools and colleges to include young people in future work programmes & development.
- Identify areas where new programmes are needed.
Scope of the Job.
The OYW reports to and supports the Project Manager to:
To take a role in maximizing the outcomes of the programme by:
- Attract appropriate youth referrals by liaising with a range of referral agencies including families, schools, colleges and social services
- Deliver practical and outdoor workshops and the TurnAround Youth Programme.
- Working with the Project Manager to develop and market the programme to a wide range of stakeholders and the wider audience
- Ensure all aspects of the programme are appropriately monitored and evaluated.
- Contribute to the wider WF team and organisation’s work
- Maintain records and databases.
- Develop in collaboration with referring agencies, families, schools and colleges, education and learning pathways for young people.
- Ensure growth of the number of young people engaging within the programme.
- Liaise and work with mentors.
Duties & Key Responsibilities
Working closely with the Project Manager to:
- Schedule activities, facilities and volunteers as required.
- Supervise, facilitate and lead activities for young people.
- Encourage and support young people to take an active part in the programme.
- Develop solutions tailored to the needs of young people
- Develop and support young people to access further education and employment opportunities.
- Promote youth programmes:
- Ensure that young people and youth organisations are aware of available activities.
- Coordinate a community relations campaign to promote TurnAround and other youth support and programmes.
- Work with the Project Manager to advertise, develop and prepare youth programmes.
- Monitor the use of equipment and facilitates.
- Maintain and build contacts with schools, colleges, employers, support agencies and other referring agencies.
- Administer youth programmes:
- Prepare a plan and timetable for youth activities.
- Prepare the youth programme budget.
- Record information on numbers of young people accessing support including 1:1, mentoring sessions, opportunities, equipment and use of facilities.
- Support volunteers and youth mentors as required.
- To assist development of the programme by:
- Identifying and pursuing suitable opportunities for the participants and the programme
- Initiating and attending meetings with referral agencies and other service providers
- Attend events and make presentations as appropriate
- Developing skills enhancement for young people, staff, volunteers and session workers
- Writing case studies to capture learning, use as training material and to promote the programme
- To help develop project delivery plan and methods to meet aims and objectives
- Contribution to team and organisation work by:
- Leading and managing by example to encourage participation of young people/volunteers
- Fostering a “can-do” culture by actively seeking solutions to problems
- Taking responsibility for aspects of the job requiring independent working
- Maintaining the organisations ethics, values, policies and resources
NB This job description is for guidance and does not form part of the Contract of Employment. The duties described above may change with circumstances and/or a review and in consultation between the postholder.
Apply for Outreach Youth Worker
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly