Creative Kernow - Cultivator Programme
Job Description for the post of Finance Officer
Cultivator is an innovative project providing an integrated programme of skills and business development support for Small to Medium Enterprises in Cornwall's Creative Industries. It is funded by the European Social Fund, the European Regional Development Fund, Arts Council England and Cornwall Council.
The lead partner and the employer for this post is Creative Kernow http://www.creativekernow.org.uk/ one of Cornwall's leading creative sector organisations; the project will be managed as part of the work of Creative Kernow's well-respected and long-established Creative Skills initiative.
Creative Kernow runs a number of projects in Cornwall apart from Creative Skills, with the key ones being Krowji, the creative workspace cluster in Redruth; the Carn to Cove rural touring scheme; the Cornwall 365 cultural tourism project and the FEAST community arts programme. The organisation is a charitable company limited by guarantee with a board of unpaid directors/trustees.
Cultivator partner organisations are Cornwall College, Real Ideas Organisation (RIO), Business West, the Cornwall Museums Partnership (CMP) and Plymouth University.
The project will deliver or support Creative Industries specific Information, Advice and Guidance; mentoring; sector relevant training; a co-investment grants programme; internships and other activities with SMEs that enable students, graduates and non-graduates to gain industry relevant experience and skills. It will work alongside the Cornwall and Isles of Scilly (C&IoS) Growth Hub and generic business support provision to deliver bespoke and highly specialist coaching, mentoring and targeted investment needed to build capacity and maximise the growth potential of the Creative Industries.
The key responsibility for the Finance Officer will be to provide support to the Creative Kernow Finance Director and the Cultivator team in the following areas:
- Financial Management
- Responsible for day to day financial management on the Cultivator Project
2. Financial Systems
- Set up and maintain financial systems and procedures
- Provide monthly financial reports on Cultivator to the Creative Kernow Finance Director
- Assist the Creative Kernow Finance Director in providing Creative Kernow Board with regular financial reports
- Prepare returns and grant claims for European, ACE and CC funding for Cultivator
- Provide all funders with any financial information which is requested
- Provide Cultivator project team (and other staff as necessary) with regular financial reports and information as required
- Monitor Cultivator delivery partner financial returns with particular emphasis on compliance with ERDF and ESF requirements on procurement and defrayal, including annual audit visits to each partner
- Keep monthly income and expenditure accounts for Cultivator to meet the requirements of the external auditors
- Assist the Creative Kernow Finance Director with Cultivator budget setting and financial management
- Provide financial support for connected activities as required
- Responsible for financial liaison with the Cultivator team re ongoing development of training programmes
- Responsible for financial liaison with delivery partners re delivery of programmes
Please note that only candidates who can demonstrate that they can meet all the essential criteria will be shortlisted
Skills & Experience
- At least four years' financial management experience including preparation and monitoring of budgets, preparation of financial reports and book keeping
- Experience with business accounting systems and management accounts
3. High level of computer literacy, essentially in use of Windows and major word-processing, spreadsheet and SAGE software - we use Sage Line 50
4. Proven ability to use modern information and communications technology effectively, in particular websites and e-mail
5. Attention to detail and the ability to produce and present accurate and clear financial reports
6. Ability to organise information efficiently using both paper systems and information technology
7. Proven experience of dealing effectively with customer inquiries
1. Accounting qualifications to AAT level
2.Knowledge of the financial management and monitoring of European-funded programmes
3. Understanding of the voluntary sector (knowledge of the arts or creative industries is not required although you may find it helpful)
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work on own initiative, with a positive can-do attitude
- Proven ability to work to tight deadlines as part of a small team
- Good interpersonal, communication and customer service skills, including an effective telephone manner
- Very well organised with excellent time management skills; reliable and with the ability to self-motivate
- Sensitivity and discretion in the workplace
- Full valid driving licence and access to a vehicle for business use
The Finance Officer will report to the Creative Kernow Finance Director and will work closely with the Cultivator Project Manager.
Key conditions of work
Contract Permanent contract (please note that the funding for this project is expected to run until the end of September 2019)
Pay £21k to £23k per year fte depending on experience
Pensions Creative Kernow will automatically enrol you into The People's Pension from 1st November 2016 if, on that date, you are: aged at least 22 but you are under State Pension age earning more than £10,000 a year (£833 per month).
If you don't meet these criteria on 1st November but you do meet them at a later date, we will automatically enrol you into the scheme then.
If you are eligible to join, Creative Kernow will contribute 1% of your salary until 30th September 2017, 2% for the next 12 months and 3% from 1st October 2018. More details about the scheme are available on request.
Holidays 4 weeks a year rising to 5 weeks over 5 years plus bank holidays
Hours 37.5 hours per week
There is some degree of flexitime, but the post-holder will normally be required to work 5 days per week from 10am - 4pm as core hours.
From time to time staff will be required to work unsociable hours. A TOIL system operates rather than payment of overtime.
Place of work The Cultivator office at Krowji, West Park, Redruth TR15 3AJ. The role will involve attendance at meetings or events elsewhere.
Probationary period There will be a standard six month probationary period
Equality and Diversity
Creative Kernow is committed to equality of opportunity in employment practices and the provision of services and expects that its policy will be supported by everyone in the organisation.
In line with our Flexible Working Policy, this post is open for applicants who wish to apply as a job-share partnership. Both candidates should complete an application form and state that they wish to be considered together.
This post is funded by European Union Structural and Investment Funds
Download the application pack at www.creativekernow.org.uk/creative-skills