- Part Time
Job title: Gateway Assessor
Salary: £14,129 - £16,103 per annum (pro rata)
Hours: 2 x 22 hours per week
Contract: Fixed Term until April 2017
Benefits: 2% contribution to Employer's Pension Scheme. 25 days annual leave, bank holidays and an additional 2.5 days to be taken between Christmas and the New Year (pro rata)
Responsible to: Gateway & Advice Coordinator
Context of role:
Gateway assessment is the first point of contact for members of the public telephoning the bureau, contacting us by digital means or accessing face to face. An assessor's role is to establish what the client's issue is, ensure that all relevant information is collected, help them resolve the issue whenever possible and provide the best next step.
Key work areas and tasks: Gateway assessing
- Work as part of the Gateway Assessor team to ensure that the service is covered on a rota basis.
- Provide excellent customer service to everyone accessing the service.
- Accept telephone, face to face and digital enquiries
- Assess clients' issues by using sensitive listening and questioning skills.
- Identify key information about the problem including time limits, key dates and any requirement for urgent advice or action (using Adviceguide, scripts and any other diagnostic tools, as necessary).
- Identify and summarise the essence of the problem.
- Establish what the client wants.
- Assess and agree the appropriate level of service, taking into consideration the client's ability to take the next step themselves, the complexity of the problem and the bureau's resources.
- Provide information and advice from Citizens Advice' public site and other authorised advice sources.
- Refer clients appropriately (both internally and externally) to suit clients' needs following agreed protocols, including making arrangements and informing clients of what to expect.
- Signpost clients appropriately to suit their needs following agreed protocols.
- Record information given during gateway assessment interviews onto our case recording systems and other systems as appropriate.
- Provide administration associated with the role.
- Identify social policy issues
- Assist with social policy work by providing information about clients' circumstances through the appropriate channel.
- Keep up to date with legislation, policies and procedures and undertake appropriate training for gateway assessment.
- Read relevant publications.
- Awareness of own learning needs
- Awareness of own behaviors and conduct
- Prepare for and attend group supervisions/ team meetings / staff meetings / external meetings as appropriate.
- Use IT for record keeping.
- Ensure all work conforms to the bureau's systems and procedures.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Undertake such other duties and tasks as may lie within the scope of this post.
- Demonstrate commitment to the aims and policies of the CAB service.
- Abide by health and safety guidelines and share responsibility for own safety and that of colleagues.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, the aims and principles of the Citizens Advice service and its equal opportunities policies.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to give and receive feedback objectively and sensitively and a willingness to challenge constructively.
- Ability to monitor and maintain own standards.
- Understanding of the main enquiry issues involved in assessing clients' problems
- Understanding of the issues affecting society and their implications for clients and service provision.
- Willingness to learn and develop skills in main enquiry areas.
- Ability to use IT in the provision of gateway assessments, e.g. basic keyboard / data entry skills / navigation of websites.
- Friendliness and approachability.
- Sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team.
- Good communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to access relevant signposting information including electronic and written materials.
- Ability to manage time effectively for the purpose of gateway assessment.
CVs not accepted.
Closing date: Friday 21st October 2016 at 9:00am
Interview date: Wednesday 26th October 2016