Deputy Head of Groundskeeping / Grounds Team Manager
Job Title: Deputy Head of Grounds
Location: Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Salary: £23,000 - £26,000
Hours: This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week, to include Saturday work during term time.
Closing Date: Tuesday 18 October 2016 (midday)
Interview Date: w/c 24 October 2016
The Foundation covers an area of 84 acres, which includes two schools and a specialist sports facility.
The post of Deputy Head of Grounds is to aid the Grounds Team Supervisor in all aspects of running the department and deputising for him in his absence. The position will combine extensive 'hands-on' leadership with administrative management responsibilities.
Main duties and responsibilities
In addition to general Grounds Person duties, assisting the Grounds Team Supervisor and taking full responsibility when the Grounds Team Supervisor is absent for the day to day running of sports grounds and facilities to meet the School's requirements.
These duties include:
- Liaison with the Director of Sport and PE in charge of the relevant sports to ensure that their requirements are met.
- Close liaison with the Grounds Team Supervisor in order to provide comprehensive and co-ordinated estate management.
- The establishment and direction of seasonal grounds maintenance schedules.
- Day to day management and supervision of the ground staff, including:
- The provision and effective deployment of manpower, plant and machinery. Ensure proper and cost-efficient maintenance of equipment through a combination of in-house and outsourced labour.
- Ensuring all relevant Health & Safety regulations are applied.
- Ensuring the highest presentation of School grounds over the 3 sites.
- Responsible for maintenance and marking of all sports pitches and associated equipment.
- Some formal training in Estate Management.
- Grounds management experience which must include cricket grounds and pitches
- Sound knowledge and use of horticultural machinery
- A PA1, PA2 and PA6 spraying certificate
- IOG Technical certificate (NVQ Level 2) or relevant experience
- A current driving licence
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent administrative skills
- The ability to communicate appropriately with staff
- Self-motivated and dedicated
- Tactful and diplomatic
- A willingness to be adaptable and to work unsociable hours as required by the job
- Be able to work in all weather conditions including rain, snow etc
- Work to high standards
- Able to work unsupervised
- Initiative and common sense
- Enthusiasm and flexibility
- Reliable, hardworking and self-motivated
- Keen interest in sport
- Ability to prioritise
- A good eye for detail
To apply for this role please click APPLY and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the Job Pack and Application Form. Please be aware that our Client DOES NOT accept CVs. You must complete an application form to be considered for this role.
Candidates with experience of; Gardener, Commercial Gardener, Landscaping, Garden design, Garden maintenance, Landscaper, Tree Surgeon, Groundskeeper, Caretaker, Groundsman, Groundsperson, Groundswoman, Grounds Keeper may also be considered for this role.