Research Manager / Senior Research Manager
Role: Research Manager / Senior Research Manager
Salary: £33,801 - £45,425pa
Job type: Full Time, Perm
The level of appointment and associated salary will depend upon qualifications and experience
NFER is an independent research organisation which undertakes projects in all sectors of education. We are committed to the continuing improvement of education and training for all learners.
We are seeking to appoint a Research Manager / Senior Research Manager for our Research and Product Operations Department to manage a range of projects. The projects are likely to include large scale data collections, marking exercises, test trials, products and services or surveys.
The successful applicant will be a senior member of a hard-working team and will be expected to make a significant contribution to both projects, staff management and to the ongoing development of working practices.
This is an operational role, so would suit candidates who specifically wish to be involved in the logistical side of research or product delivery.
Responsibilities as our Research Manager / Senior Research Manager will include:
- Project management of specific projects, using formal project management approaches
- Carrying out a range of project work in relation to operational projects
- Line management of particular teams or individuals
- Effective budget management and cost control
- Managing specific aspects of continual development and improvement in the department
- Developing technical specifications for complex processes or data collections and leading systems development or database management projects
- Report writing
- Writing and pitching for projects via competitive tendering
- Business development activities including networking, customer relationships and leading the development of new services
The successful candidate will be an experienced manager with a degree (preferably with a numerate or technical element), proven skills to assist with the management of large scale complex operational projects and the ability to lead and motivate staff. A project management qualification would be desirable, such as Prince2, which we use to manage some of our projects. We are particularly interested in candidates who have a background in education and experience in managing marking exercises.
In addition, as our Research Manager / Senior Research Manager, you will need to have:
- the ability to write well
- strong computer skills
- an interest and aptitude to learn new technologies
- some knowledge of the education system
- a commitment to improving outcomes for learners and to making it as easy as possible for schools to take part in NFER activity.
NFER is a registered charity and an equal opportunity employer welcoming applications from all sections of the community.
Benefits of working at the Foundation include 30 days paid leave per year over and above Bank Holidays and discretionary days, generous pension arrangements and good support for staff development.
Our offices are located in lovely grounds a mile from the town centre; communications by road and rail are excellent.
If you are interested in this challenging opportunity, please go to the NFER website for further details and an application form.
Closing date: Wednesday 26th October 2016
Interviews: w/c 7th and 14th November 2016
Applicants for this post should note that it is exempt from the “Rehabilitation of Offenders Act”; further details of NFER’s Disclosure & Barring Service (“DBS”) checking procedure are in the attached “Further Particulars” for this post.
No Agencies please, if you are an agency please respect our policy of no cold calling.
Registered charity (No. 313392)