Speech Systems Analyst / Phonetics / Linguistics Specialist
Job title: Speech Systems Analyst
Location: Hemel Hempstead
Salary: £33,000 - £35,000 per annum + excellent benefits and superb working environment
Job Type: Permanent, Full Time
Role definition and scope
Our Client is an established Technology company in Hemel Hempstead providing some of the largest businesses in the UK and globally with multi-channel customer service and payment solutions including SMS, Web and mobile apps.
They work in a colourful, collaborative open-plan environment where you will find cross-departmental teams working on exciting projects, releasing new products/technology and on- boarding clients. They have also won awards for investment in their People Strategy.
They are currently seeking a Speech Systems Analyst to join a small team responsible for creating, managing and tuning a range of speech recognition services. The role is varied and involves analysing and tuning recognition systems; training and supervising in-house and third-party transcription of caller interactions; creating and maintaining SRGS and statistical grammars and dictionaries; software script development to create or process system data or results; documentation and reporting; contributing to the design of Interactive Voice Response (IVR) systems and dialogues.
Working under the direction of a Senior Speech Analyst as part of a cross-functional team of experienced Developers, Project Managers and Dialogue Designers the successful candidate will contribute principally to the development and maintenance of the Company's speech solutions. A background in speech recognition analysis and phonetics or linguistics is ideally required, preferably with some industrial experience, and with a demonstrable capability in software/scripting development. You will work in a team with a broad set of skills so the ability to communicate effectively across this range is required. Moreover, you must be self-motivated and tenacious with a desire for excellence, attention to detail and a hardworking attitude. Outstanding candidates who may lack some specific skills listed are encouraged to apply.
Candidate profile, experience and skill
- A degree, preferably involving coursework in speech technology/processing, phonetics, computational linguistics or related subjects.
Experience and skills
- Analysis and tuning of speech recognisers and resources.
- Design and development of SRGS grammars and dictionaries.
- Experience of Nuance technologies is desirable but not essential.
- Any experience of natural language processing, statistical/semantic language modeling or speech biometrics would be advantageous but is not essential.
- Good familiarity with Windows and preferably also Linux/Unix command shells.
- Good skills in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Analytic skills including use of general mathematics and statistics.
- Excellent spoken and written English is essential, with fluency or working knowledge of other European languages an advantage
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, especially using computer-based systems.
- Ability to clearly present and report the results of analytical work internally and to clients.
- A passion for speech recognition, linguistics and technology in general.
- A desire to make speech recognition solutions work for real users.
- Strong analytical skills and methodological approach
- A willingness to participate in audio transcription.
- A hands-on, proactive approach, with thorough attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with strong personal organisation skills.
- Capable of managing several projects simultaneously and working well under pressure when necessary.
- Willing to learn new systems and take on a new intellectual challenge.
What's on offer?
- A fantastic working environment
- Life insurance
- Free tea, coffee, fresh fruit and snacks
- Relaxation floor (lunch area, quiet room, pool table, Xbox)
- Simply Health & private medical insurance group membership (eligible after probationary period)
- Pension scheme
- Well-being initiatives, such as in-house Reflexology and Sports Massage
- Focused on education and training (technical talks with internal and external speakers)
- Bike to work scheme (with a secure bike shed)
- Discounted offers
- Team days and Volunteering events
- Employee Recognition schemes
- Christmas & summer company events
- Discretionary annual bonus
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.