Pupil Support Assistant
Before applying for this job, it is important that you read the Applicant Guidance by clicking on the attachments below. These explain the job role and the type of person we are looking for.
A vacancy has arisen for a Pupil Support Assistant to assist teachers in promoting achievement and raising the standards of pupil attainment and provide general support in relation to the needs of the class and individuals’ care, health and wellbeing and safety; to ensure a secure and safe environment.
There is a requirement to be flexible in school location within the cluster, according to individual circumstances and work with a range of pupils from P1 – S6.
Initially you will be based in the location advertised, but you may be required to work elsewhere within the Stonehaven CSN.
This post is regulated work with children under the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007. The preferred candidate will be required to join the PVG Scheme or undergo a PVG Scheme update check. Where an individual has spent a continuous period of 3 months or more out with the UK in the last 5 years, an Overseas Criminal Record Check will be required. You will be required to provide this check. A confirmed offer of employment and commencement in the post will be subject to the outcome of both these pre-employment checks being deemed satisfactory.
The majority of posts within Aberdeenshire Council fall into one of the categories as detailed on the Worksmart website - http://worksmart.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/
This post has a minimum requirement of 2 references, one of these must be your current or most recent employer.
Shift Pattern – 4 days 1145-1430 and 1 day 1145-1445
Fixed term for a period not exceeding 30th June 2017
Informal enquiries to Louise Simpson 01561361312
- Supervise pupils whilst in attendance in learning environments, and assist in providing a healthy, safe and hygienic environment
- Encourage pupil independence, and with appropriate training, assist with personal care, and support physical needs
- Provide individual support, where required over the course of the day
- Assist pupils with practical input and support in specific subject or work areas
- Maintain learning resources under the guidance of a teacher
- Assist the teacher, as part of a team, in the planning, delivery and review of activities
- Encourage an inclusive environment in line with authority and school policies and adhere to child protection and all relevant legislation
- Implement school policies on promoting positive relationships
- With appropriate training attend to basic first aid requirements
- The following duty is performed on a voluntary basis:
- Attend to individual healthcare or medical needs, including the administration of medicines
- Academic achievement to Scottish National Level 4 or 5, Standard Grades or equivalent transferable experience and skills
- Attendance at appropriate in-service sessions / training such as child protection, support needs and equalities
- Knowledge and experience of engagement with children and young people
- A keen interest in child development
- Display ability and commitment to undertake initial training and subsequent staff development as required
- Good interpersonal and organisational skills and able to work as part of a team or work on own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Flexible and adaptable approach and have a patient, fair, courteous and non-confrontational manner in dealing with children and young people
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and tolerance and to respond positively to circumstances of a variety of additional support needs
- Ability to respect confidentiality
- Able to adopt a mature approach to emotionally demanding work
- Qualification in Child Care and Education
- First Aid Qualification
- Food Hygiene Certificate
- Child protection training
- Additional support needs training
- Previous experience of working with children of school age e.g. as a parent helper, SFL, Auxiliary, Classroom Assistant, Volunteer
- Working knowledge of child development
- ICT skills
Job Profile Pupil Support Assistant April 2016.pdf
Applying for a job with Aberdeenshire Council.pdf