Health and Safety Systems Officer
JOB TITLE: Health and Safety Systems Officer
ACCOUNTABLE TO Training Manager
SALARY: Point 22 – 28: £18,065 - £24,226 (Pro Rata applies to part-time staff)
HOURS OF WORK: Full Time 39 hrs
- Leading as directed in ensuring all departments within the organisation are compliant with
- current Health and Safety legislation
- To contribute to the coordination and implementation of Health and Safety policies, procedures and practices across the organisation.
- To provide advice, guidance and instruction to all designations with the operation and monitoring of Health and Safety systems in the workplace.
- To raise awareness of Health and Safety within the organisation.
- Manage the Facilities Officer
- The primary part of the role of the Health and Safety Officer is to promote and ensure
- occupational Health and Safety awareness is embedded into the organisations culture
- To take the lead in monitoring and implementing safety related functions; including risk assessments and training; that raise the standards of Health and Safety across the organisation, to ensure safe practices and working conditions are present.
- To provide and deliver written reports on Health and Safety legislative requirements to CEO, Heads of Departments and Board of Management.
Duties of the Post:
- Compliance with Legal Obligations
- To advise and assist Senior Management Team and other persons involved in planning, organising, controlling and maintaining a safe and healthy environment.
- To develop Innovate Trust’s health and safety policy, in consultation with all Managers and Staff.
- To implement organisation’s Health and Safety Procedures and to comply with legal obligations.
- To keep up to date with legislation, regulations and changes in Health and Safety best practice
- To produce Fire Safety Risk Assessments and Evacuation plans on an annual basis for all premises.
- To ensure Fire Prevention / Safety systems and appliances are maintained in good order and compliant with legislation and inspection.
- To assist the organisation with their fire safety arrangements in all departments.
Accident investigation and prevention
- To receive and investigate reports of accidents, dangerous occurrences and fire damage, determine their causes and make recommendations for improving recurrence prevention and controls.
- To monitor that all accidents are properly investigated by Managers, and that lessons learnt are shared across the organisation
- To maintain a system for recording, reporting and investigating injuries, accidents and dangerous occurrences.
- Provide statistical summaries to the Health and Safety working group and draw attention to significant trends and occurrences.
- To be able to provide advice and guidance in producing relevant risk assessment associated with Health and Safety in the workplace.
- To assist, design, facilitate and deliver all training courses related to Health and Safety.
- To provide advice, guidance and instruction to employees’ via team meetings to ensure operational staff understand their responsibilities.
- To assist with the delivery of Health and Safety training to the people Innovate trust supports.
- Provide advice and guidance around the organisation’s risk assessments, systems, paperwork, and ensure risk assessments are completed for all activities with significant risks.
- To ensure all head of departments and/or their teams are completing Health and Safety risk assessments and all relevant paperwork.
- As part of the Quality Assurance Monitoring; prepare and coordinate Health and Safety audits for internal and external purposes; reporting breaches in regulation and identifying recommendations within agreed timescales
- Work in partnership with others to ensure recommendations’ are addressed, implemented and resolved: relaying this to internal or external parties.
- To identify Health and Safety risks, hazards, concerns: reporting these directly to the Training Manager.
- Prepare periodic reports on progress with Health and Safety systems, legislative requirements for various departments within the organisation; to the Chief Executive and the Board of Management.
- To attend the organisation’s Health and Safety working group; providing updates on changes to legislation or regulations.
- Develop a range of communication medium e.g. safety website, health and safety display board etc. to ensure that all employees are kept up to date with Health and Safety matters.
- To maintain effective communication with other key staff, appointed Safety reps, Unions Reps and all other staff with health and safety responsibilities.
- To attend the Board of Management meetings as required i.e. on a quarterly basis to report the Health and Safety statistics within the organisation.
- To attend departmental and team meetings on a regular basis, to ensure Health and Safety continues to be a point of discussion on the agenda.
Other Duties/ personal development:
- To have or work towards attaining an N.E. B.O.S.H. (National General Certificate) or equivalent qualification.
- Attend and participate in all training and development opportunities, both internal and external- in some cases contributing to training- as appropriate to the role.
- To contribute to the continuing improvement of service quality standards in terms of consultation, operational interaction and support, to satisfy internal quality assurance and external regulation.
- To represent the Organisation’s interests in any meetings attended i.e. service user groups, staff groups, management groups, parents/carers groups, multidisciplinary meetings, conferences and external forums.
- Taking responsibility for own personal development and contribute to identification of strengths and needs
- To prepare for, attend and engage in supervision, evaluation and performance reviews, accepting and providing constructive feedback.
- To maintain any necessary records and complete reports as mutually identified with the line manager.
- To manage workload efficiently and manage time effectively, in order to meet the needs of the post and observe any operational deadlines as set by the line manager.