4 days left
- Full Time
HOLME GRANGE SCHOOL
Heathlands Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG40 3AL
Tel: 0118 978 1566 Fax: 0118 977 0810 e-mail: email@example.com
Independent Co-educational Day School
Required for January 2017 or sooner
(Full–time or part-time considered)
We are seeking to employ an enthusiastic and self-motivated individual to work as part of the School team, taking a full and active part in all aspects of school life and to be a positive role model for both children and parents. We are looking for an experienced and keen sportsperson to work within girls’ games. The applicant should be able to coach in two or more of the following sports - netball, hockey, rounders and athletics. The role will involve providing coaching in both games lessons and with teams for both home and away fixtures. The ability and confidence to umpire matches is an advantage. This would represent an outstanding opportunity for someone looking to gain experience before following a career in teaching or sports coaching, or an individual who has a passion for sport and working with children.
The successful candidate would also be required to work with pupils on a 1-1 basis or in small groups within the classroom. Experience of working with pupils with specific educational needs would be an advantage.
You must be passionate about providing first class care and demonstrate a positive attitude and flexible approach. You will enjoy working with children and working in partnership with their parents and the rest of the staff team.
This is a full time post but part time would be considered for the right candidate. Salary dependent upon experience.
Holme Grange is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants for all jobs will undergo appropriate child-protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check to enhanced level. Holme Grange School is an equal opportunities employer.
Pre-application visits welcomed - please phone and book a time. Full details and application form available at www.holmegrange.org or by telephoning 0118 978 1566. Applications will only be accepted by completion of an application form which should be submitted with a hand written letter of application to the Headteacher – Mrs C Robinson.
Closing date for applications: Friday 21st October 2016. Interviews: Friday 28th October 2016.
An enthusiastic, reflective and self-motivated attitude is essential, who must be a positive role model for both children and parents.
A Sports Assistant must be able to work effectively as a team member with the ability to show initiative when required. A sense of humour is a distinct advantage. We expect our staff to take a full and active part in all aspects of school life and so the post holders will be people who are completely flexible, have a can do attitude, prepared to be role models for our young people and adopt high standards of personal conduct in order to maintain the respect of parents, pupils and colleagues.
You will be given responsibilities within sport and work closely alongside the sport and academic staff in the teaching and learning of a varied age group of children. The children engage in a wide selection of activities both in and out of school in addition to many trips and outings including residential trips.
Duties include to:
- Encourage, enthuse and inspire pupils through sport
- Coach pupils in sport being taught in order to support pupil progress
- Identify talent in sport and encourage children to participate out of school too
- Umpire matches
- Provide support within the Year group/department as directed by Director of Sport /Head of Year.
- Support class activities with regard to the aims and objectives as discussed with other staff.
- Feed back to other staff and parents, children’s attainment.
- Prepare resources and materials for lessons.
- Contribute to keeping communal areas tidy.
- Be aware of School Behaviour policy and know what is expected of children and staff, appropriately reporting incidents of concern.
- Supervising breaks and lunch times
- Ensuring the safety of the pupils;
- Providing basic first aid where necessary;
- Safeguarding the emotional welfare of the pupils;
- Assisting games staff deliver the P.E. and Games Curriculum (R to Y11)
- Be involved in the after school activities programme
- Supervising the changing of pupils;
- Working under the instruction and supervision of the relevant staff;
- Transport or support the transportation of pupils to matches where appropriate.
- Supervising the safety of the pupils on their route to Games facilities;
- Preparing equipment for the sessions.
- Accompany classes on outings, taking responsibility for a small group.
- Take on general duties, as required by Head of Department.
- Attend meetings – Departmental/whole school.
- Attend appropriate after school functions.
- Be prepared to attend relevant training courses or meetings.
- Take part in School Performance Management programme.
Outside the classroom there is a great deal of scope for involvement in the school’s varied programme of extra-curricular activities and the Sports Assistant will be expected to assist in school activities on a weekly basis. Part time staff would be required to support at least one after school activity, full time sports assistant two per week.
There are many opportunities for personal and professional development and we aim to provide a flexible program to deliver both. This post, as with all posts in school, staff are subject to a Disclosure and Barring Check at enhanced level (DBS). There will be an opportunity to participate in a training programme. This can involve gaining professional qualifications such as; sports coaching and umpiring qualifications, first aid, lifesaving awards in addition to exploring areas of personal interest.
Whilst not essential, the ability to drive a mini bus would be an advantage.
The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young persons for whom she/he is responsible, or with whom she/he comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the school’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the school she/he must report any concerns to the school’s Child Protection Officer who is the Headteacher.
Apply for Sports Assistant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly