Head of Wardrobe
Job Title: Head of Wardrobe
Who you report to: Head of Production
Who reports to you: Costume makers, freelance & casual wardrobe staff, dressers and wig dressers
Salary: £29,084 - £31,490 dependent on experience
Probation Period: 6 months
Holiday entitlement: 20 rising to 25 days + public holidays
The Head of Wardrobe works as part of broader production team to deliver the costume needs for all productions, events and activities inside and outside of the building.
The aim of your job is:
- To provide excellent customer service to customers and visitors to The REP
- To ensure the safety, comfort and wellbeing of customers and staff at all times
- To construct costumes and accessories to a high standard
- To accurately interpret design briefs
- To make, maintain and repair costumes
- To maintain standards of quality in all areas of work
- To ensure excellent communication between departments and team To lead the department
What your main duties cover:
- To oversee the supervision of in-house and co-productions makes as agreed with the Head of Production.
- To liaise with freelance costume supervisors regarding in-house facilities, support and use of costume stock.
- To cut and make costume in a wide variety of fabrics.
- To assist designers with the sourcing and purchase of fabrics, clothes and accessories
- To interpret accurately all costume drawings, notes and instructions provided by the designer.
- To arrange and manage fittings necessary for each production.
- To be responsible for and hold a good knowledge of the theatre’s costume stock.
- To provide wardrobe and dresser services for in-house shows and visiting companies. To facilitate such maintenance as may be required for costumes during a production. To maintain the wardrobe workshop, fitting room, costume storage areas, laundry rooms, wig room and the maintenance of health, safety & security.
- To ensure the correct use and maintenance of machinery and tools in the department.
- To manage both overhead and production wardrobe budgets – supplying accurate material and labour costs for each production.
- Ordering, accounting and monitoring wardrobe stock.
- Research of design and costume history to ensure authenticity in delivery.
- Liaison and collaboration with all other production departments .
- Contribution of proposals for the improvement of the wardrobe department and its processes.
- Effective management of resources, maximising income and minimising expenditure wherever possible.
- A commitment to the personal and professional development of staff.
- Where practical, to provide services to other departments as requested from time to time.
- To attend Design, Progress, HoD and other meetings as relevant to this post.
- Maintain a high standard of appearance when working with the public
- Deliver duties at venues outside of The REP and Birmingham
- Liaise with relevant Library of Birmingham staff as and when necessary
- Support and promote all company policy, with specific attention to Equality & Diversity,
Customer Care, Health & Safety and Data Protection
- Ensure a safe working environment is maintained at all times with particular regard to the health, safety and welfare of customers, visitors, staff and yourself
- Support the organisation and its staff through the effective use of the performance management system
- Any other reasonable duties required to ensure the smooth running of the wardrobe department.
- IOSH is desirable
- First Aid certificate is desirable
- CLAIT or ECDL is desirable
- Full clean driving licence is desirable
COMMUNICATION AND WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
- Demonstrates clarity in written/spoken communication and capacity to adapt language as appropriate to the situation.
- Capacity to work effectively with others, including internal and external colleagues and creative teams and to manage the department.
- Ability to build a rapport.
- Be a good listener.
- Good negotiation skills.
DISPOSITION AND ATTITUDE
- Positive, proactive, self motivated and flexible approach.
- To have a desire to motivate a team.
- Genuine interest in the Arts.
- To have a desire to learn and develop.
- Be able to show initiative and resilience when dealing with change.
MANAGEMENT OF WORKLOAD
- Able to manage time effectively.
- Be a logical and effective problem solver and decision maker.
- Able to carry out work under pressure and maintain good humour.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Promote a positive health and safety culture within the department.
- Be up to date with relevant legislation.
- Extensive experience in a Wardrobe department of a similar creative environment.
- Experience of team leading and team motivation.
- Experience of budget management.
- Experience of scheduling work and working to deadlines.
JOB SPECIFIC SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE ESSENTIAL:
- Computer Literate in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work from designs and ideas of creative teams.
The REP uses a competency framework to describe the abilities and personal attributes that are displayed by people who are successful in this particular position. We use the framework during selection, performance appraisals and change management processes.
- Achieving Results – actively contributes to organisational success at various levels
- Safety Orientation – actively considers the safety and wellbeing of self, customers and staff
- Customer Orientation – positively influences customer opinions and behaviours
- Communication – ensures good flow of relevant information to create mutual understanding
- Meeting Deadlines – plans thoroughly in order to achieve and deliver to others
- Expertise In Role – has prolonged or intense experience of practice or education in role
- Managing Others – motivates people to increase performance and achieve job satisfaction
- Results Orientation – focuses efforts on achieving quality results
- Quality Awareness – understands and champions the principles of continuous improvement