Senior DevOps Engineer
The UK's fastest growing and largest independent energy supplier is seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer to join their expanding team. First Utility is committed to helping customers reduce their energy bills through the use of innovative technology, by offering cheaper tariffs and campaigning for industry change. This opening comes at an exciting stage and offers a fantastic opportunity for you to be part of a team hungry to make a difference.
We are the 'Growing Business Awards' Growing Business of the Year 2014 and the only energy company to have been listed in the fast track 100 for four consecutive years
This is a key role within the development team building advanced software solutions for our growing energy and telco business.
Projects cut across a wide range of areas, including:
- Many of the systems that support our customer facing teams
- Accurate billing for our customers
- New business opportunities
- Expanding the capability of our smart meter platform
You will be working in a highly agile environment that continues to encourage DevOps principles and practices to make the software delivery process more efficient, reliable and able to react to the changing demands of a dynamic fast growing business. The DevOps team are critical to these aims and are responsible for developing and innovating ways to accelerate delivery to react to the changing needs of the business.
The way we build and test is critical to successful delivery as we continue to move towards microservices architecture, continuous delivery and more of the steps required become hands off.
You will be embedded in a development area to support and champion DevOps and continuous delivery principles with that team, whilst collaborating with other DevOps, software and operational engineers to ensure a consistent, resilient and dynamic approach.
As the company grows our teams will continue to be presented many technical challenges, our ability to find and adopt new technologies that support our growth is increasingly important. Some of the technologies we now rely on include Docker, Cassandra and Kafta.
Areas of specific responsibility
- Work with delivery teams to support their delivery of quality software solutions through the use of automation
- Work with other DevOps engineers and technical operational engineers to continually improve the infrastructure and platform
- Work with delivery teams to support their ability to monitor and manage their own applications in the production environment
- Delivery automation will encompass a variety of technologies, including databases, web services and web front ends
- Appropriate documentation to share knowledge about the solutions, processes, frameworks and other technical subjects
The desirable candidate will have
- Proficient in at least one programming language
- A basic understanding of RESTful services
- The ability to write clear, concise code that adheres to commercial standards
- A strong understanding of Agile and DevOps principles
- An understanding of continuous integration/delivery principles
- Some experience with Linux, e.g. Ubuntu, CentOS
- Knowledge of some scripting languages, e.g. bash, python, ruby
- Willing to learn new technologies and apply them
- Excellent communication skills with technical peers and non-technical colleagues
- An analytical approach to producing solutions
To apply please click the APPLY button.