Sterile Services Technician
Sterile Services Technician
Salary dependent on experience
Northwick Park, Harrow, HA1
Afternoons and night shift required
- To provide a high quality service for the cleaning inspection, assembly and packing of sterile equipment for hospital and community settings.
- To take a flexible approach to work within the sterile services department.
Duties and Responsibilities:-
- To ensure the effective preparation of sterile consumables (dressings, linen, instruments and equipment) by the process of cleaning, inspection assembly and packing within predefined quality standards.
- To rigorously check, wash, lay-up and pack sets of theatre instruments to meet contract specifications within predefined quality standards.
- To safely operate and monitor machines and equipment (driers, washers, sterilisers) effectively.
- To ensure that repairs and missing instruments or equipment are recorded and logged on the Tracking and Traceability computer system.
- To ensure that repaired instruments or equipment are returned to stock or the appropriate coded sets.
- The post requires manual dexterity and the ability to use complex equipment for example, this role involves disassembly, inspection, decontamination, packaging and sterilisation of surgical instrumentation to predetermined standards. The decontamination and sterilisation processes are carried out using complex processing units.
- To undertake daily testing of Autoclaves and washers/disinfectors and related equipment.
- Participate in daily housekeeping and equipment preparation checks in accordance with Trust and National Standards.
- To organise own daily work within allocated areas, working unsupervised in the absence of a supervisor/team leader.
- The ability to recognise all surgical instruments and identify trays used within the trust.
- Assembling instruments and checking for safety and correct function in accordance with departmental procedures, specifications and best practice.
- To monitor and operate within required health and safety guidelines.
- To participate in staff development and training initiatives.
- To actively participate in the Synergy Healthcare Performance Management System.
- To undertake any other duties or tasks as reasonably required.
- Educated to a good general standard with demonstrable verbal and numerical abilities.
- Experience of a process driven environment
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development and training.
- TVQ or NVQ Level 2 in Decontamination or equivalent experience.
- Previous experience in Sterile Services and/or health related products.
- Previous experience of working in a Process driven manufacturing environment.
- Ability to carry out instructions accurately.
- Ability to follow procedures.
- Ability to learn and understand the instruments and trays.
- Basic end user IT skills in order to operate track and traceability (Trakstar) IT system
- Work in a team environment
- Adopt a flexible approach to work
- .Work in partnership.
- Work under pressure to deadlines.
- Pay attention to detail being able to identify missing and defective instruments from trays.
- Produce high standards/quality work
- Must be willing to work flexible hours if the need arises.
Able to fulfil Occupational Health requirements for the post including clearance of blood borne viruses in compliance with Company/customer policy.