Reference Systems Manager
2 days left
- Full Time
Cambridge University Press has a unique opportunity available for a Reference Systems Manager to join the team in Cambridge. The role is a full time, permanent position offering a salary of circa £43,000 to £50,000 per annum dependent upon experience and benefits.
We are a global not-for-profit organisation, committed to the advancement of knowledge worldwide through our exciting publishing programme directed at learners. You will be joining a diverse and collaborative workforce and you will be supported in your career ambitions to achieve your potential.
An exciting opportunity has arisen in our English Language Teaching (ELT) Consumer product group for someone who is interested in being responsible for the underlying data structure for reference publishing and corpus research support.
Reference Systems Manager - The Role
This is a specialized, senior role requiring both a deep theoretical knowledge of computational linguistics and the technical ability to configure and manage systems in which linguistic data are housed and manipulated.
The successful candidate will manage reference systems, including the dictionary database and corpus systems, and supervise a range of data preparation activities to facilitate and support product development, language research and licensing opportunities for ELT publishing.
What are the responsibilities of the Reference Systems Manager?
- Own the dictionary data structure, managing data processing and delivery of data for internal and external clients and researching potential solutions for sourcing new dictionary and corpus systems/software as required
- Configure and maintain the computer systems used for both dictionary compilation and production and for corpus building and analysis
- Act as the team’s technical lead for the Cambridge Dictionary website and reference apps, actively contributing to the specifications and managing the processing of data for release on the website
- Oversee technical training and second line support to users of dictionary and corpus systems
- Procure and/or manage the relationship with technical support teams, such as in-house QA and testing and external tech freelancers, and app developers
- As a senior team member, keep abreast of developments in computer technology, XML, computational linguistics and lexicography, to contribute to the strategy of the product group
Our ideal Reference Systems Manager will have the following skills & experience:
- We are looking for someone who is qualified to degree level, ideally in computational linguistics, who is familiar with dictionaries and corpus linguistics.
- Expertise in the structuring of XML data, DTDs and XSLT transformations
- Proficiency in Perl scripting
- Proficiency in Excel
- Experience with Content Management Systems, preferably in an educational publishing environment
- Understanding of search engine optimisation
- Experience of the agile development model and a high degree of comfort with a fast pace
- Experience with collaborative development environments
- Project management experience and familiarity with English Language Teaching publishing would be an advantage, but is not essential
We offer a fantastic benefits package!
Benefits of working at the Press include flexible working, free life assurance and a contributory pension scheme, private health insurance, 28 days’ annual leave, subsidised restaurant and cafe, free on-site gym and sports facilities, and season ticket travel loans. Our offices are based in Cambridge, within walking distance from the train station and guided busway.
Closing Date: 17th October 2016.
Why not click ‘apply’ today? Don’t miss out on this opportunity to join an organisation that play’s a leading role in today’s global market place as our Reference Systems Manager.