Corporate Insurance Officer / Health & Safety Officer-Part Time
Job Title: Insurance Officer
Location: Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
Salary: £20,456 - £24,717 per annum pro rata (subject to positive increment scheme)
Position: Part-Time (20 hours per week)
Closing Date: 12th October 2016
The Council is looking for an enthusiastic, motivated, and well organised individual to join their Corporate Health and Safety Team. The postholder will ensure that the Council's insurance needs are fully met.
This includes; ensuring that there is adequate cover for the Council's assets (buildings, equipment etc.), handling insurance claims, advising staff on insurance queries and overseeing the engineering inspections process (of buildings, plant and equipment). As the role is part of the Corporate Health and Safety team there is also opportunity to be involved in some areas of health and safety work which adds a further interesting aspect to this role.
Reporting to the Corporate Health & Safety Manager, you will be working in a small busy team of officers but will hold primary responsibility for insurance matters so will be expected to be effective at managing your own workload.
- To ensure that adequate insurance cover is maintained for all of the Council's assets.
- To provide insurance advice to the officers of the Council as and when requested, or as appropriate.
- To manage the administration and handling of all insurance claims made against the Council.
- To work with the administrative assistant that assists with the basic insurance claim administration.
- To assist in the completion of annual returns as required by the Council's insurers (currently Zurich Municipal).
- To maintain the electronic filing systems for all insurance claim documentation.
- To administer the database of all Council owned vehicles on the insurer's database.
- To administer the recording and distribution of all engineering reports undertaken by the Council's insurers and ensure any defects are corrected, and items re-inspected in accordance with the agreed terms with the Council's insurers.
- To process all insurance premium payments and settlement of claims and complete recharges where necessary.
- To provide trend claim analysis and provide a monthly report to the Corporate Health and Safety manager for inclusion in the Health & Safety report to the Corporate Management Team.
- To provide advice and guidance to officers on insurance matters and attend meetings with Senior Officers as part of the management of risk for specific service areas.
- To assist in the provision of training to staff of the Council in respect of insurance and risk management matters.
- To assist in the administration and maintenance of the Business Continuity Plans for Accountancy Services.
- To assist the Corporate Health & Safety team with health & safety projects and tasks as directed by the Corporate Health & Safety Manager.
- To assist in the administration and maintenance of the risk registers in the Council's covalent system.
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Approachable attitude with the ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to deal with internal customers and the general public in a professional, pleasant and polite manner.
- Good IT skills and previous experience of Microsoft Office programs, with good knowledge of excel spreadsheets
- Understanding of the basic principles of insurance policy types and perils covered, and knowledge of the process involved with administering insurance claims.
- Ability to think analytically, interpret and analyse information
- Good organisational skills
- 5 GCSE's at Grade A - C including Maths and English (or equivalent)
- Effective communication skills, both verbally and written
- Team player with an innovative, positive, proactive attitude
- Ability to prioritise workload to deliver outcomes and objectives to deadlines and be able to work on your own initiative
- Self-motivated, always seeking to achieve own potential and improve service performance, produce work of a high standard and to work effectively under pressure
- Ability to think analytically, interpret and analyse complex information
- Ability to be highly accurate when working with numbers
- Ability to accept change and be flexible
- Good understanding of the principles and protocols for claims handling
- Able to work with customers (internal or external)
To apply, please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the application form or link to the online portal.
IMPORTANT: Please read through this information carefully.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Insurance Handler, Insurance Officer, Claim Handler, Claims Executive, Claims Account Manager, Claims Handler, Claims Customer Service, Insurance Claims, Building Insurance, NEBOSH Officer, Case Handler, Claims Assistant, Public Liability Insurance, Customer Claims Handler, Claims Technician, Health and Safety Assistant, Health and Safety, Health and Safety Coordinator, NEBOSH, Health and Safety Advisor may also be considered for this role.