Senior PHP Software Engineer - Sheffield
Sky Betting and Gaming aims to bring the excitement of sports betting, casino, poker and bingo to a rapidly growing number of customers in the betting and gaming market. Through our close relationships with Sky Sports we can provide a unique opportunity to deliver a real experience that makes us stand out in the online gaming sector. We're striving to be the best digital business in the UK and we're well on our way, this year we've been nominated as one of The Sunday Times Top 100 companies to work for as well as bagging a handful of accolades at the 2015 EGR awards and we're not planning on slowing down anytime soon! From our base in Leeds and across all our sites, we are experiencing rapid growth and are constantly looking for the best talent to help us in our continued success. Are you in?
- Reporting to the Lead Software Engineer, you will deliver first-class software solutions, which are secure, unit tested, perform well, and help provide a thrilling customer experience
- Implement highly modular and refactorable components across a horizontally scalable application framework designed to maximise reuse across multiple channels.
Actively participate in and lead application design, database design, data-flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact.
Deliver software solutions to specification and on-schedule that are cost effective and fit for purpose.
Work with Product Owners and Business Analysts to propose, analyse and negotiate business requirements, and translate them into technical requirements.
Participate in the definition of scope of projects and estimates of timescales for development and maintenance work.
Analyse functional and non-functional requirements to determine their impact on technical systems.
Work with Software Engineers to balance the commercial needs of the business against the ideal technical design, proposing sound phased or tactical implementations where appropriate.
Produce accurate and unambiguous functional and technical documentation of products, systems and services prior to and during development.
Proactively suggest ways to improve the quality of software releases. Work with the Scrum Master and Engineering Manager to ensure that development follows an agreed waterfall or agile model throughout the delivery of an individual project. Ensure that project reports are accurate and reflect known risks and issues to enable progress to be properly reported.
Actively support the implementation of continuous integration to enhance deployment processes in line with SB&G delivery/release evolution plans.
Define and implement best-practice solutions within the team
Skills & Experience
- A relevant degree or equivalent experience.
- Commercial experience of internet application development, to include a proven understanding of browser behaviour and issues.
- Knowledge of Portals and Content Management Systems.
- An understanding of building high traffic/high load applications.
- Exposure to web application security practices.
- A strong understanding of application design and architecture, including database interactions, server-side scripting, form handling and general application development.
- Good knowledge of internet and networking technologies and protocols, including HTTP, TCP, IP.
- Strong understanding of using SDLC methods and processes, including Agile development methods (Scrum/Kanban/XP), TDD, automated builds and continuous integration.
- Commercial experience of OO development and design patterns.
- Commercial experience of designing and developing software in an online business.
- High availability (24??7??365) web systems experience.
As a valued employee you will benefit from Free Sky+HD premium package, an excellent Pension Scheme, Private Health Care together with a range of other benefits to help you make valuable tax and national insurance savings.