Engineering Manager - International
Sky Betting and Gaming aims to bring the excitement of sports betting, casino, poker and bingo to a rapidly growing number of customers in the betting and gaming market. Through our close relationships with Sky Sports we can provide a unique opportunity to deliver a real experience that makes us stand out in the online gaming sector. We're striving to be the best digital business in the UK and we're well on our way, this year we've been nominated as one of The Sunday Times Top 100 companies to work for as well as bagging a handful of accolades at the 2015 EGR awards and we're not planning on slowing down anytime soon! From our base in Leeds and across all our sites, we are experiencing rapid growth and are constantly looking for the best talent to help us in our continued success. Are you in?
As a result of our rapid growth in our International tribe, we're looking to recruit an Engineering Manager to build our teams and further develop our in-house development teams. We have an opportunity for an experienced technology manager to join our team to oversee a number of squads to deliver and support products with a strong emphasis on customer value and technical excellence. You will primarily use open source technologies consisting of, but not limited to, Java, ReactJS, NodeJS, Mongo MySQL and Redis, so you'll have significant, proven experience in designing, developing and supporting high volume, highly critical products in both back office and web facing contexts
- Work with your teams and with key technical leaders to define our platform vision, and mobilise our engineers to take us there.
- Champion our continuing technical evolution and drive to find, test and adopt emerging technology to our advantage, ensuring we deliver a Platform fit for Purpose
- Working with the technology leadership and through your teams, ensure security, stability and capacity are at the heart of all development; set goals and metrics that define the technical success of the tribe (technical principles, test coverage, build pipelines etc), then own their delivery
- Evangelise engineering best practice to keep our cycle times short and work with delivery leads to define, spread and embed core technology principles into all squads
- Nuture our development teams, reward high performers and work to continue adding technical talent to our team, while helping shape the careers of your teams and ensuring seamless succession planning
- Working with the technology leadership and through your lead engineers, ensure security, stability and capacity are at the heart of all development
- Identify and manage the skills gaps and key dependencies across all products. Highlight risks and areas of under investment and put in place plans to address
Key Characteristics and Experience
- Significant experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in online betting & gaming or similar web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration
- Significant commercial experience in managing delivery and an integrated release process in an online environment. Commercial experience in Continuous Deployment.
- A proven ability to take and influence technical decisions in a fast moving commercial environment
- We are not building a monolithic Enterprise Java app - think microservices and a lean approach with quick running tests and deployment. This should be something you're passionate about.
- You will need to demonstrate good levels of skill in Java 8, and be comfortable with techniques such as message queues and event sourcing, and know what makes a good RESTful API
- Ideally you would be happy to pick up code in other languages, especially those in the open source web development arena; Node.js for example
- You should be able to demonstrate strong application design capabilities, and turn a brief into a fast, secure, monitorable and maintainable application
- We value previous experience developing for high-demand & high-availability environments
As a valued employee, you will receive free Sky + HD and Broadband, as much free Yorkshire tea as you can drink (we are in God's country after all), or the stronger stuff if you're more of a coffee connoisseur. A digital private healthcare scheme along with Herman Miller chairs to ensure your derriere is as comfortable as possible whilst you're innovating and a pension scheme that will send you jet setting off into retirement. All this in a flexible working environment with some of the best minds in the industry help make Sky Betting and Gaming a really great place to work (if we don't say so ourselves). So come join us, one sugar or two?